Chapter 9

We were walking along the beach. My thongs were in my hand and Perry's arm was slung over my shoulder. My toes plunged into the soft sand with each step and the waves crashed to my left. I counted each step as I took it. We were approximately eighty seven steps away from the beach entrance when a movement further up the beach caught my eye and I wished immediately that I hadn't looked. I spun around and tugged on Perry's arm desperately.

"Maybe we should go back," I suggested.

"Why would we?" Perry asked, looking out at the water.

"I, uh I'm cold! Yeah, I'm really cold," I spluttered, shivering to display my point. He looked at me in amusement, giving his best 'are you insane' expression. "Please can we just go ba-" I cursed mentally as a shout interrupted me. "Never mind!"

"Oi, McNelly," a deep voice shouted. "I'm talking to you."

"Please keep walking!" I begged. As if I hadn't even spoken, he turned towards the voice. It seriously was not my day. Why must I have seen all my least favourite people in one afternoon?

Sitting in the sand dunes was, of course, Miss Fiona Thompson and her boyfriend Jett McGuire. I hadn't seen Jett in a while, but my guess was he hadn't changed. Definitely not physically; he still had the raw hotness common in most of his type, his type being 'bad boys.' I doubted he'd become any less of a jerk in the last couple of years. The place seemed to be crawling with them these days. Everywhere you look, there's someone who makes you want to crawl under a rock and die, rather than have to face a conversation with them. This conversation was bound to be interesting, seeing as Jett despised us, well Perry mostly.   

"What're you doing on my beach?" Jett asked arrogantly. Perry just snorted.

"Was there a non-stupid reason for calling me over McGuire?" What was it with guys and calling each other by their last names? I made a mental note to ask Perry later.

"Don't backchat me Junior," did I mention Jett was a year and a half older than us? He certainly never fails to. "I heard about your friend, real shame that. What was his name, again?" Like he actually cared.

"Trey," Perry said through gritted teeth.

"Yeah, that's it. But I just wanted to give you prior warning: Get in my way and you could end up joining him, you got me?" His expression was dark and frightening. Guys are so good at holding grudges and Jett McGuire is an expert. Three years ago we'd gotten him into a heap of trouble from his mum, accidently of course. He'd been stocking up on drugs, weed mainly, and he'd let us in on his secret. Of course, we'd all gotten high without thinking about the consequences when we returned home. If you think I'm a bad drunk, you should have seen me that night. Off my face doesn't even begin to describe my behaviour. Anyway, one thing led to another and his mum found out. Luckily enough, he had most of his stash hidden somewhere, he didn't even tell us where it was. Rumour has it he got high one night and had the brilliant idea to move his stash. Needless to say, the genius can't remember where he put it. But he still seemed to always be followed by the lingering smell, so I suppose he hasn't stopped his habits. Still, he's hated us ever since and isn't shy when it comes to showing it. Death threats aren't even the worst we've received.

"Are you threatening us?" Perry asked, angering the beast.

"Are you giving me a reason to?" Jett countered.

"Not at all," I jumped in, attempting to save our necks. "You know we'd never do that, Jett!" I smiled sweetly and batted my lashes, hoping to charm him into dropping it.

"O'Riley junior's saving the day, is she?" I hated that nickname. Jett had been good friends with my older brother before he 'went feral,' as Harry puts it. Of course Harry had been known as O'Riley, being a guy and all, and I'd been dubbed O'Riley Junior. Even though he won't admit it, I'm positive the reason Harry stopped hanging around with Jett was because he'd given me drugs. Good riddance I say, anyone who was friends with Jett was bad news in my book.