Against all common sense.

I'm thinking about Rob's offer.

To be a temporary caretaker for the Red Wing.

For 6 months – it was thousands of dollars. Easy money.

Easy, easy, money.

B-but... more than the money. Was the ghost.

Claudius.

Yeah, I could handle the day but... at night... how the hell could I sleep in such an old place, that didn't even have electricity? Rob said he'd provide fire wood and fire starters, to help keep me warm.

He knew I was thinking about it.

Well, on my second last drive back to the Red Wing – I have some serious questions for Claudius. If he appears.

But I was afraid how to approach the subject.

I wanted to stay because of him. I was magnetically drawn to him. But, I was either crazy and delusional, if I thought I could have some kind of thing with a ghost.

I should just tell Rob no thanks. I should just say no. I should just go straight to college.

I park the car outside the Red Wing mansion, and I see Claudius almost immediately.

He's walking from the old run down stables, which were locked shut with chains – and he's heading towards the side of the mansion. He walks in through a side gate – and then enters the Red Wing.

I get out of the car with my cleaning equipment in my fanny pack, and I leave my phone and keys in the car. The Red Wing was isolated enough so I could keep it all together without worrying of someone stealing my possessions.

I walk into the mansion through the front, eager to get this discussion rolling.

"Sir?" I call out immediately, my voice echoes, as I shut the door behind me, "Can we talk? Fontaine?"

I wait, staring at empty air, hands in my pockets of my ripped jeans.

I tap my foot as I wait for Claudius to appear.

After a minute of standing still in the lobby, I start to blush on the spot.

He's not appearing.

But I feel like he's just taunting me.

I guess I was going against the rules. Ghosts chose when to appear.

It wasn't up to me.

So, I get out my rag, and I start to clean on my second last shift in the Red Wing.

****

8 hours later

I am completely alone in the Red Wing.

I even felt it. Loneliness. Alone-ly-ness, you could say. He was gone. I don't know where.

Strangely... I felt like I was comfortable here now.

Like I could do it.

I stare at the fire place, where Robert has stacked up wood for me to use if I stay, or for whoever takes the job.

I even head to the master bedroom, and I see brand new white sheets on the bed. New pillows too. The riding crop is gone.

Rob was a very generous and kind owner.

I feel at ease.

And it's almost like Claudius never existed at all.

"Cozy," I murmur under my breath, looking around, I wonder how much online content I could get for my vlog channel online. Maybe I could even do it full time.

The school counsellor taught me to take opportunities when they arose.

I had the best day – my best day yet.

I knew every room. I knew where everything was. It was absolutely gorgeous. It was going to make me a big buck.

Caretaker of Red Wing.

Hmm.

So.

Why the fuck not?

I turn on my heel and I skip right out of there, back to my car.

Fontaine out of sight, out of mind – I pick up my phone and I go to send the text.

To accept.

And I hesitate.

I look up one last time, through the windshield, searching for the ghost.

Claudius is nowhere to be seen. Huh.

My parents had approved the move if I wanted to try it.

My friends thought it was cool, and wanted to visit.

I had approval from every angle.

Fuck it.

I text Rob.

Thank you. I would love to. Thank you for the new bed sheets and firewood.

I start the car to move off.

And just like any older man – Rob is right onto replying quick.

A thumbs up, a smiley face and then one final text.

Mansion will be ready for you next Sunday.

I raise a brow.

My last day at Red Wing.

Was about to become my first day.

I look it over.

Majestic in the early sunset.

With a grin, I pull off – I already can't wait to get back next week!