Chapter 2 - Simon

"But I like you. And that's not fake."
Those words have been on repeat in my mind since the first time Wilhelm said it. At that time, I couldn't imagine hearing anything else that would make me so happy. And now he told me he loved me and I couldn't even say it back.
I come home and go straight to my room. I'm exhausted.

Sara and I didn't share a word on the way home. I know something's up with here, she's usually not that quiet. But I know better than immediately asking her what's wrong. She probably needs some time alone. So do I.

I lay in bed and stare at the ceiling. My mind goes to Wilhelm. I think about our first kiss, how frightened I was. I was afraid I had read the signals wrong and he wasn't even into me. I was afraid he would get mad at me. But then he kissed me back. That night, I finally understood how it feels to have butterflies.
I shake my head. I can't afford to think about Wilhelm. I can't lose my mind over him. He betrayed me when he denied it was him in the video. He told me he we were in this together, then he claims to everyone it wasn't him. When I read it on the news, it felt like he was ashamed of me. It felt powerless.

I hear a knock on the door. "Come in" I say. It's Sara. "Have you been crying?" she asks, direct as she always is. Shit. I didn't even know I was crying until now. I quickly wipe some tears of my cheeks. "What's up?" I ask, ignoring her question. "Oh, mom wanted me to bring you dinner. She said you can eat it in your room." She hands me a plate of pasta. Mom usually never lets me eat in my room. She must know I want to be alone right now. "Thank you. Can you close the door on the way out?" I say when I reach for the plate. I take a bite of my food when I hear the door close. Pasta is normally my favourite food for dinner, but my stomach feels knotted today. I stop eating after a few bites and push the plate away.

My mind goes back to Wilhelm, even though I don't want to. I feel mad at him, but still: there's no one else I want to talk to right now besides him.

I sigh. I'm allowed to be mad at him, right?