ⁿ/15

TW// Mention Of Death

𝐖𝐡𝐢𝐥𝐞 𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐬 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐡𝐚𝐯𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐥𝐚𝐮𝐠𝐡 and enjoying their little trip to England, Chandler was only feeling anxious and full of sorrow. What if she changed, what if she no longer liked him?

He wondered about all of these things, especially how in hell he was going to show up at her house. He had her address as she had given it to him so that he could write and call her, but he had never received anything back. He couldn't blame her; losing someone close to you is probably one of the most difficult things to overcome.

But Chandler wished she would at least call once. Just once, so he knew she was okay. Or as well as someone in that position can be.

"Come on it will be fun!" Joey was still trying to persuade him that the two of them should go explore London.

"I'm not in the mood," Chandler stated, still sitting on their hotel bed's green sheets. The yellow walls gave off a European vibe, which he assumed was the point since, after all, this was Europe.

"Come on! I swear if you don't, you'll regret it. Plus I will give you back that 20 bucks I owe you" Joey prompted, which got Chandler to look in his general direction, still not daring to look his best friend in the eyes, but at least he wasn't facing that old white dresser in the corner of the room anymore.

And with that, the two of them were on their way to see the majority of the attractions London had to offer. Everything captivated the two guys, from the numerous huge monuments to the basic old houses. But Chandler's thoughts continued to be filled with none other than her. Amy could never leave Chandler's mind, no matter how hard he tried. She lingered in the back of his head throughout the day, he tried to somewhat distract himself with the amazing architecture and fun souvenirs Joey had purchased for the both of them. And it worked.

Or, at least, it did until he noticed a very familiar dress.

Amy had worn the same dress on their first official date, not the one double date her friend had dragged her to. No, their first date, which he remembered as one of the best he'd ever been on.

He wasn't sure if calling out her name was the best choice, and if it even was her. But when the mysterious girl turned around and locked eyes with the brunette American, her cheerful smile faded into a concerned expression. Those same eyes he used to stare at for our on end during every conversation they ever had were now looking at him with shock and confusion.

She shifted her gaze to the side, then back to him, as if she couldn't believe he was there in person.

With slow footsteps, each making a clicking sound due to her heels connecting with the concrete pathway, she made her way towards him.

"Chandler?" The world seemed to come to a halt, and it was just her and him right now; he couldn't believe it. He was so taken aback that he couldn't even mumble a response.

"My goodness you are... you are here!" She laughed slightly, still unsure of how or more importantly why he was here. Suddenly she got really uncomfortable, wondering if he travelled all this way specifically to meet her, full well knowing she hadn't replied to any calls or letters. "Why are you uh...? Yea what are you doing here?" She inquired as he seemed to get a hold of himself after what seemed like hours for him, even though it was mere seconds for everyone else.

"I uh. Ross is getting married and his fiancé is English. So we all came here for the wedding" He answered. He saw her slightly smiling and her eyes going over each feature of his face. "How- how is you dad?" He asked, hoping to keep the conversation going since as he really didn't want it to end.

"He passed away a few months ago." She replied softly. "But it's alright, It was better to let him go than to see him suffer more" she waved her hand in a dismissive motion as a shiny ring caught his eye. It had a somewhat decent sized diamond and it peacefully rested on her ring finger, it was just the right size for her and suited her delicate hands perfectly.

"What- what's that" he pointed to ring as she broke eye contact. It was almost as if she was ashamed of what she was about to say next.

"I'm... engaged." Chandler took a brief pause as he processed what he had just heard. "He was one of the nurses who took care of my dad in the hospital, he was there for me every night and we sort of clicked. He has been nothing but sweet. When... When we thought my dad was getting better for a few weeks he proposed with the idea that my dad could attend our wedding. But he only got worse since that day forward." She ranted as he could only nod. There was no other reaction, no profanities shouted, no tears, no arguing. Just pathetic acceptance.

"Is he... are you like, in love with him?" He asked still at a loss for words. What an awkward time for Joey to have ran to the next souvenir shop. Sure his best friend might have maybe made things more awkward, but at least the American wouldn't have been alone right now.

"I'd like to think that, yes I am." She stated calmly, without a doubt in her voice. "Listen Chandler... I know I didn't call back but I was in a hard place and Adam... He helped me get through it. He was there in the right time" She explained, trying her best to not break his heart, unfortunately she was 2 years late for that.

"Could have at least given me a call. Let me know you had someone else" his tone was a mixture of frustration and sadness.

"Listen. I know this is hard on you. And it was extremely difficult on me too. But you have to realise I never stopped loving you. Maybe if the circumstances were different we would have had a happier ending." She noted this while grabbing Chandler's hand in her own smaller hands. He was always fascinated by the way her hands fit with his, it was obvious they were a match made to last. So why did it all have to end up like this?

"You can still come back; we can live happily in America and have that happy ending!" He was starting to tear up. He felt desperate begging her like this but seeing her only shake her head broke him down even more. Suddenly she turned around, her name was being called by a man, holding a dog by a leash on the sidewalk a couple of feet behind them. Adam was calling her since he found it uncomfortable for his girlfriend to be spending so much time with this, from his point of view, stranger.

After assuring Adam she'd be with him in a few minutes, she turned around to face Chandler. "My heart longs for you but it belongs to someone else now. I'm sorry... I wish we had more time, I really do." She went in and placed a small kiss on his cheek. "I never told you I love you. But I've always wanted to say it... I know it's late. But I wanted to let you know." And so with a soft smile she turned around. He watched her walking away to her new boyfriend, fiancé and soon to be husband.

To say he was furious would be an understatement. But no matter how much he tried, he couldn't bring himself to blame her. He simply observed the happy couple strolling down the street, walking their adorable little dog. It truly hurts when it was the right person but the wrong time.

He didn't wait for Joey to leave the souvenir shop, he just couldn't stand being outside any longer. He wished to return to his hotel room and cry.

Why did all of this have to happen to him? What did he do to deserve such a tragic fate?

That night, at the pre-wedding party, he got incredibly drunk. More than he had even allowed himself to drink. Even after Amy left the US he didn't chug as much alcohol as he did that night. And before realising it he found himself in bed with another woman in hopes to fill the hole the pretty Brit left in his heart.

Sure, sleeping with a woman because you were heartbroken from another was cruel. But he was only human, 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐢𝐜𝐚 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐥𝐨𝐨𝐤𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐨𝐨 𝐠𝐨𝐨𝐝 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐩𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐜𝐮𝐥𝐚𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭.