Chapter 10 - It Better Work

Start from the beginning

Carina looked in front of her and not towards Arizona, she realized she looked like a little kid.

"Oh- Hm, it feels good to eat what I want, y'know."

Arizona nodded, happy. "Don't let me judge you. I eat so-called disgustingly sweet chocolate cake for breakfast. Everybody doesn't understand how good it tastes. It is an acquired taste, I always say."

Carina chuckled.

"Oh. Everybody does not include Meredith though. You've met her right, this morning? Dr. Grey is what people call her, I'm sure you and Alex had a nice chat with her."

Carina bit her lip, "Yeah."

"She's amazing y'know. She's been through hell and back. She almost died from drowning. Then the plane crash happened. Then, she lost Derek. She's just so freaking awesome."

Carina couldn't help but notice Arizona's use of words, amazing and awesome. It was cute. What she didn't find cute though? Arizona using it to describe Dr. Grey.

"Hm, she must be glad to have a friend like you then. Always wearing a smile on her face."

Arizona shook her head violently, disapproving. "I'm sure I'm the happiest to have her as my friend. My person- that's what Cristina Yang and her used to call it. She's good to me, really good. After my ex-wife left for New York, along with our daughter, I got into a car crash,"

"I heard."

Arizona nodded.

"And..." she sighed pleased, remembering who brought her back to life. "She saved me."

Carina definitely did not hear that. Arizona faced the OB, twinkles in her eyes. Carina met those eyes and she saw how Arizona felt.

"She saved me, literally, and not so literally." she laughed. "She saved me in every way a person can be saved."

Arizona was happy to have Dr. Grey beside her every morning.

Dr. Grey saved her life.

How could she compete with that?

"Hey, don't cry," she giggled. Arizona wept her tears on Carina's shoulder. "Nevermind, scrap that, cry all you want. I'm here for you."

Arizona nodded, hot tears streaming down her cheeks. She did not know exactly why she was crying, but she knew Carina is here for all of it.

Later that day, Arizona was in the nurses' lounge. Humming while skimming through charts. Each and everyone of the nurses noticed the aura she wore.

It just happened Meredith was done with her work and needed a place to hang. She sighed on the counter Arizona leaning on. Still humming, the bright blond looked up.

"Tired?" she asked.

"You have no idea." she breathed out.

"If it makes you feel any better, I have good news. Well- like good news for me but I guess it's generally good news." she said, teeth showing. Meredith's chest thumped louder than normal, this news must not be good.

"Carina asked me out. Again. It's tonight. Again." Arizona stood on her toes for a moment, looking to have jumped. Meredith's mouth was left ajar, so Arizona tilted her head.

"Ah- sorry. Let me just make a call, hold on."

"Go on," Arizona replied.

Meredith moved further along the hallway where Arizona couldn't hear her. From her lab coat, she pulled a phone. Quickly, she called Alex. It was good he answered.

"What?" he asked.

"Carina already asked her out."

"Oh. Dude, do something."

"What am I supposed to do!" she shuffled and started walking around.

"I don't know! Just do something. I can't sabotage De Luca's twice." he replied.

"Why not." she said eager.

"Dude, no. Just do something. Anything! Kiss her or some dumb signs things girls give."

Meredith's eyes grew when she heard kiss. Kiss.

"Mer, are you there? Hello?"

She blinked.

"Yeah, I'll do something."

"Good. It better work. I gotta go."

The call ended. Meredith breathed out and walked back to the nurses' counter. Arizona greeted her again.

"Do you like Carina?"

Meredith wanted to have that conversation. She knew what she wanted to do alright.

"Hm? Yeah, I like her I guess." Arizona nodded to the side.

"Do you like her, like her?" Meredith added. Arizona bit her lip.

"I think it's too soon to tell. Hey, why are you so interested? Don't worry, I think Carina is a good person, you have nothing to worry abou-"

"Is there anybody else you like?" she cut Arizona off. The bright blonde's cheeks puff, air occupied. She thought for a second and furrowed her brows, "You mean like romantically?"

Meredith nodded, serious.

"Um, no? I haven't seen anyone after Callie, you know that."

"No one comes to mind? Really?" she asks. Arizona shakes her head clueless, but she felt Meredith's tense retorts and tried piecing things in her mind.

Oh, God. She thought.

"Wait, Mer-"

But she was cut off.

By Meredith's lips nonetheless.

Arizona saw Meredith's face. Her eyes, they closed shut for this moment.