Chapter 3

You and Mark talked away the afternoon, and by the time you were packing up your laptop it was already 4 P.M. With help from Mark, you found a plausible job opportunity at a place called the Daily Enquire. It seemed easy enough and it was  a good starting point. Tomorrow, you'd go in and see if there was an open job. Even though your self esteem wasn't fantastic, Mark always looked into your eyes and told you that he believed in you, that you could do it, and that you could do what ever you set out to do. That was what kept you searching, kept you enthused. Without him, you weren't sure where you'd be. Mark guided you back to your apartment, weaving through the sidewalks. As you both walked up the stairs to your apartments, you decided to thank him for being so kind.

"Hey, thank you so much for helping me today. It means a lot."

Mark looked at you fondly as he said "Of course. I'm always here to help."

You smiled and stared down at your feet. Coming to your door, you began to open your door, but turned back to see Mark. He turned back too and smiled a sweet smile.

He stopped for just a moment to ask, "Hey, want a tour around town tomorrow?"

A sudden blush bloomed on your face, and you responded quickly, "Yeah. I'd like that."

Almost running into your apartment, you skipped around, unable to contain your joy. It felt so unreal, almost as if it was a fairy tale. Meeting a handsome guy right when you moved in to a new city? It fascinated you that of all people, he talked to you. Your smile stayed glued to your face, no matter how much you tried to wipe it off.

Readjusting yourself, you began to write an email to your best friend again. It was important that you updated her on this, you had left her, and it felt like your obligation to make sure she knew about her. Her name was Elizabeth, but you always called her Eliz. You wrote,

Hey Eliz, I've got more news. Sorry I've been emailing you so much, I miss you a lot. I almost wish you had come with me! I know it's really hard to be apart, but it makes me feel a lot better if I keep in touch. Anyway-

You continued typing about Mark and what had happened. Even writing it down, you felt your skin tingle with the memory. Writing it felt like reliving, making you giddy with excitement about tomorrow. It tickled you that he invited you to tour the city too! Rapidly typing all this, you wrapped up the email and sent it. Eliz was always fast about responding, and soon sent back. 

Y/N! You don't have to apologize. I love hearing from you. I really miss you too. Speaking of me coming there with you, I kind of have a question. What if you came back? I know that LA has some huge newspapers, but so does Missouri! I heard that there's a new newspaper that needs help starting off. I know that you just moved there, but I really think you made the wrong decision. Y/N, there is so much here that you are missing out on. It's dangerous there, and I know you have anxiety. I don't mean to pressure you, but this is something I need you to consider. I want you back, Missouri needs you back...

Your heart dropped. Eliz wanted you back in Missouri? She was so supportive when you left, of course there was hesitation, but you thought she got over it. Suddenly, that giddy feeling drained from your heart and you felt a heavy weight replacing it. Reading the rest of the email felt impossible now. You sat back and stared out your apartment window in deep thought. The only thought that ran through your mind was, why? Slowly you began writing out your thoughts, yet as you did, coming home felt safer and safer- forgetting Mark completely.

__________________________________________________________________

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Whoa, the feedback I got was really good. Keep it coming! This is not a very good chapter, but I needed some drama. Will you go to your friend in Missouri or stay for the jobs and Mark? DUN DUN DUNNNNNNN.

Sorry my chapters have been so short. I don't have a lot of time to write. Anyway, thanks for all the votes! Again sorry. LOVE Y'ALL.