Two

November 3, 2009

Age: 13

"Now take a step down," I said carefully guiding to her backyard. 

"Down?"

"Yes, down," I repeated. Today was currently Jocelynn's 13th birthday! We were told all she wanted for her birthday was a tree house or a studio, you know, the ones where you play and record music. Her dad said it was either one or the other, but then our family and said why not do both. Well technically I did. Our family would cover the tree house and their family would do the studio part, but I volunteered to pick out the instrument for her and let's just say, I picked the perfect one.

Funny how she rather pick the gift over the party. 'The gift will last longer than a party' as I quote her. 

I look up at the finished tree house in shock. It was pretty big from my view. Now let's just see the inside. Her family and my family were all gathered around the tree house. Our mum's had their phones out and ready. 

"Are you ready?" I whisper into her ear with my hands still covering her eyes. 

"Totally ready!" she chimes clasping her hands together tightly. I nod and look up at Matthew, her dad, for approval. He smiles holding a thumbs up. 

"1...2...3!" I said taking my hands away from her eyes. 

"Happy birthday Jocelynn!" everybody said in sync. Her eyes instantly light up at the sight of her very new tree house with her mouth hanging open. This would be a good time to snap pictures.

"Oh! My! Goodness!" 

I smile at her reaction. She turns to me with her expression still shocked. I laugh and open my arms. She jumps up and down and into my arms. After a few seconds she releases and runs to hug everyone else.

"Thank you thank you thank you!" she says to each one of them. I walk over the ladder of the tree house. I grab my hat and put it on. I lean against the trunk and wait for my cue.

"Your tour guide is right over here, love," Matthew says walking Jocelynn over to me. I grin and give a bow.

"Ello birthday girl. I am Lucas Hemmings and I will be your tour guide this evening," I wink. She giggles and claps her hands like a 5 year old would. 

"I hope you'll like it baby girl. Have fun you two!" he says hugging the both of us.

"Thank you Daddy!" she chirps while I wave.

"Are you ready to see your new tree house?" I ask lifting an eyebrow.

"Heck yeah I am!" I smirk at her response.

"Follow me," I said nodding towards the ladder. I unlock the latch and flip it right open and lift myself right inside. I turn around and help Jocelynn up just in case. The minute she fully entered her new tree house, she was blown away. 

"Whoa..." she trails off. Her reaction was like a light bulb being turned on for the first time and her smile was just shining bright as it can ever be. I was suddenly engulfed tightly into a hug.

"Thank you so much, Lu. I knew you wouldn't let me down," she mumbles into my chest. 

"I'll never let you down, Lynn. Best friends never let each other down." She smiles at me with her eyes glistening and I smile back. I love how her eyes Jocelynn's attention started to focus on something else behind me. I turn around trying to follow her trail of sight. My eyes land on the picture of us two in a cloud like frame.

I smile at the memory. Jocelynn pulls away and takes the fame off the wall and examines it.

"I remember this was taken on your birthday. I wanted to tell you a secret, but every time I come close to your ear, you laugh. Then later figured out that your ticklish spot is your neck," she smirks at me. I glare at her. Sometimes I wished she didn't know those things. 

"Come on, doofus, I thought you were my tour guide," Jocelynn said crossing her arms. I raise an eyebrow at her sassy stance. 

"Pffft, not anymore. You're on your own," I said turning away towards the slide, which is the exit out of here, and biting the inside of my cheek from laughing."Bye, Jocelynn!" 

I turn around and see her standing there with her bottom lip sticking out."I'm not gonna let you have any of my cake if you actually leave me."

I stop dead in my tracks."That's cruel. You wouldn't do that," I said trying to keep my serious face by not looking at her.

"Yes I would."

I press my lips into a line and look up at her. I sigh and tackle her to the couch all at once. I wrap my arms tightly around her and whisper in her ear,"I love you Jocelynn."

"Thought so. Now let me go you giant penguin," she says squirming under me. I laugh and hold her tighter.

"I'm not gonna let you go until you say you love me back!" I said poking her sides. I'm not the only one that's ticklish.

"Okay!" she breathes,"I. Love. You!" 

She giggles and I finally release her. She lies on the wooden floor trying to catch her breath. 

"Okay, can we finish the tour now?" Jocelynn asks. I stay silent for a bit, not moving.

"Gladly," I grin.

~*~

"Okay Jocelynn make a wish!" cheers Michelle. Jocelynn smiles at her mum then everyone around her. She closes her eyes as silence fills the room for a brief minute. She opens her eyes with a smile creeping up on her face. I watch her blow all 13 candles gently and we all clap and cheer for her.

"What did you wish for?" I ask nudging her as I eat my sliced cookies and cream ice cream cake. She swallows her bite and wipes her mouth before she speaks.

"I can't tell you." said Jocelynn.

"Awh, why not?"

"Because you can't tell the wish or else it will never happen. It's like a little secret you have to keep."

"Well...whatever it is, I hope it comes true," I smiled. She stayed quiet for a short second and I notice her cheeks turn a bit pinkish. 

"I hope it does too."

____________

GUYS I UPDATED AGAIN YAAAAAY! Sorry for the wait! I wanted to post it earlier, but I went hiking lulz. 

Funny fact: I only like ice cream cakes that have no icing (don't judge me!)

I hope you guys liked it! xx

Twitter: badasluke

Tumblr: badasluke