twenty | dedication

Start from the beginning

"Thanks, Lucille. It means a lot," he told her. Lucy smiled confusedly at him.

"Of course, why do you look like you're gonna throw up though?" she asked curiously.

"Because I feel like I am," Ricky admitted with a brief chuckle. Lucy smiled reassuringly at him and quickly pulled him in for a tight hug.

"I'm so proud of you, Richard Bowen. You've come so far," she muttered to him.

"I couldn't have done it without you, Lucille Carlisle," he muttered back. Lucy pulled back from the hug, and briefly patted his cheek. They told each other that they loved them, then Lucy skipped off to continue what she needed to do.

She was passing out more letters when she felt someone grab her hand and turn her around. She looked back and came face to face with Ej, smiling brightly at him.

"Hey, E! What's up?" she chirped.

"Wanna go read our letters quick before things go haywire?" He asked her with a smile. She beamed at him and the two quickly ran off to find a secluded space.

"Oh! Hold on!" Lucy said, she quickly stopped at her bag and grabbed a small box, then intertwined her fingers with his again and they found a separate room quickly. They quickly traded their letters and looked at one another with wide smiles.

"Okay, on three?" Ej asked her. She nodded and they counted down, then opened the letters.

Lulu,

This is my fifth time trying to write this letter to you, and no words can even begin to describe how I feel right now. Nine shows together. Nine, not including our shows in your basement, but— wow, Lucy. You have changed so much since we first started performing together. IN A GOOD WAY!!!! You have become so much more confident in the last couple months alone since we started HSM, I don't know what sparked in you, but it's beautiful. You're beautiful.

Lucy, I can't apologize enough for not being there for you after your mom (Happy Birthday, Miss Em) and I wish I could go back in time and slap myself silly for what I did and how I acted. Especially all that dumb stuff I did this year.

You're one of the best, most talented people I know, and I don't know where I— or any of us for that matter— would be without you and your kindness and everything you do for all of us. Everything you've done for me. You make me so happy, Lucy. Happier than I ever thought was possible. Thank you for everything, and congrats on making it to senior year, we did it!!

-EJC

P.S. I have something to say to you that I didn't want to say in the letter, so look up now.

Lucy looked up with tears in her eyes, Ej mirroring her expression as they smiled widely at each other. They stayed silent for a moment, and both of them just smiled widely. Finally in unison they said, "I love you."

"What?!" Lucy laughed, Ej started laughing too and he quickly pulled her in for a hug.

"I love you, Lucy. I love you so much," he said, squeezing her tightly.

"I love you more, Eej," she muttered. They pulled back again and Ej brushed her hair behind her ear to get it out of her face.