Author's Notes

If you've reached this point, thank you so much for reading my story.

I've truly enjoyed writing this, although it's been a real labour of love. I just hope I've done the characters justice. In particular, I didn't want Tom Blake's death to just be the end of him being mentioned, it felt right to refer back to his character throughout the story and for the baby to be named Tom at the end.

Right from when I first felt compelled to write this, the one thing I was certain I didn't want it to be was any sort of love-triangle or the classic 'they were right there under your nose the whole time' scenario. It's more about finding love when you least expect it and how even in the most horrific circumstances, real love can blossom and grow.
Also, I knew I was going to give my two main characters the happy ending I felt they deserved. Reading and learning so much about World War One, so many were killed and damaged irreparably physically and emotionally, so I felt adamant this wouldn't happen with Will and Jane, yet still I hope I've kept it respectful.

As mentioned in the introduction, each chapter is named after a wildflower found in Britain or Northern France, with the exception of Sweet Williams. The Victorians believed flowers had their own language and symbolism which I personally think is incredibly beautiful and also felt quite apt for each chapter summarising as follows:

1. Dandelions: The nurse's residence and unknowingly going to the trenches= Childhood, innocence and joy.

2. Cornflowers: Meeting Blake and Schofield= Nature's simple beauty and life's cycle.

3. Snowdrops: Crossing No-Man's land= Purity and sympathy.

4. Roses: The German Bunker= (Red roses) blood and (pink roses) gradual love awakening.

5. Buttercups: Walking through the quarry, wooded copse and towards the abandoned farm= Youth, immaturity and humility.

6. Chicory: The cherry orchard and farm= Perseverence and true love. Also, knights traditionally would give damsels chicory as a sign of affection.

7. Poppies: Blake's death= Peace, sleep, rememberance and respect and solemnity for fallen soldiers.

8. Daisies: Leaving the farm and arriving at Eccoust, then Nurse Morgan leaving Schofield= Hope and trust. I also remember someone once saying about daisies being friendly and this really stuck with me.

9. Crocuses: Arriving at the Newfoundland's camp, making friends and the dream which becomes a nightmare= (Purple crocuses) dignity and (gold crocuses) cheerfulness.

10. Bluebells: Walking to the Second Devons and meeting the homosexual couple= Gratitude, thankfulness and everlasting love.

11. Meadowsweet (also more commonly known as Cow Parsley in Britain): In the trenches and out again= Sleep (this is from British folklore rather than the language of flowers).

12. Violets: Locating Will= Faith and modesty.

13. Heartsease (also more commonly known as Wild Pansies and Johny Jump-Up's in Britain): Jane taking Will back to the Newfoundland's= Healing, peace and tranquillity.

14. Primroses: Jane working and looking after Will= Optimism.

15. Forget-Me-nots: Will and Jane confessing their true feelings. Being together= True love.

16. Honeysuckle: The end of the War and Jane's wedding to Will= Devotion, sweetness, unity and affection.

17. Sweet Williams, Epilogue: What happened to the other characters, contentment and Jane having a baby. Will arriving home and meeting his baby= Gallantry, masculinity and love. When also looking up this meaning, an author described Sweet Williams as "reminding me of a cluster of soldiers. Sticking together, protecting each other and each fighting for a cause."

Although the story isn't set in the Victorian era, every character would have been born in that time with the exception of Babette.

In Chapter Four: Roses, a story is remembered by Jane involving a rat asleep on her Granny's hair. This is a true story that really did happen to my great-grandma Mary-Jane.

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed my story.

🌾🍀💮🥀🌿🏵🌺🌼☘🌻🌸⚘🌱🌹💐