ninteen | tech week pt. 2

Start from the beginning

[Presently]

"That's excellent, and a little weird," Miss Jenn announced, blinking at Ej a few times in confusion. "Big Red, can we hit these guys with a spotlight?"

"Uh, I'll look for it!" Big Red called from a distance.

"Eej, what are you doing?" Lucy asked him pointedly.

"I'm just emoting, Luce. Feel free to join me," he told her offhandedly. Lucy narrowed her eyes at him and he looked over at her and paled. "I mean you did wonderfully."

"Ej, this is a tech rehearsal and these are not our parts," Lucy reminded him. Ej looked at her and took a deep breath, then looked back at his script. Lucy narrowed her eyes at him again.

"Okay, Ej, Lucy, let's not wait for the lights. Just stand on your marks and gimme your cue again?" Miss Jenn requested, Lucy looked over and smiled briefly, nodding her head along with Ej. And then Ej started fake crying again.

"I never thought about singing, that's for sure," Lucy looked at him in horror, and Ej sniffled. "Until you. And now, I don't wanna stop."

Lucy physically recoiled when Ej placed his hand on the side of her face, her eyes darting to Miss Jenn and Carlos out of the corner of her eye. She was a little scared right now.

"Ej?" Miss Jenn called to him, motioning him over to her. Lucy frowned and motioned Carlos over to her. He glanced around and quickly went over to her. Lucy grabbed onto his arm and pulled him closer.

"I think I know what he's doing and I'm admittedly a little scared for you right now," Carlos told her pointedly, his voice low.

"He read the notes," Lucy muttered back to him.

"You know about them?" Carlos asked her.

"Yeah, I saw you running away with them earlier. I told him to leave it alone but he didn't listen you know?" Lucy told him pointedly.

"Of course he didn't," Carlos sighed. Suddenly a ladder felt down in Lucy's direction, Carlos quickly pulling her out of harm's way as she gasped loudly.

"Lucy!" Ej called out worriedly.

"I'm okay!" Lucy assured everyone.

"Big Red, did you do that?" Miss Jenn asked loudly so he could hear her from the wings.

"No," Big Red replied from beside Miss Jenn, she screamed and jumped away from him.

[Lucy to camera]

"This place is cursed."

[Presently]

During their long five after Kourtney accidentally broke the sound system with her amazing voice, Lucy and Carlos were on a hunt for Ej. They found him sitting on the floor eating a box of popcorn next to the concession stand.

"You looked in the Audition files, didn't you?" Lucy questioned when she found him.

"Oh boy," Ej sighed, popping some more of the popcorn in his mouth.