5.

Chapter 5: S1E3

Saturday, August 18th

When I told Jason I was going to a party, he nearly smacked me over the head with a freshly cleaned frying pan. Not to hurt me, of course, but he was just startled.

Now here I stand in my brand new red dress, my feet in a pair of uncomfortable knock off converse my dad got me. Trent opens the door for me with a smile. "Oh, hey. What are you doing here?" He asks. "Did you forget your calculator or something?"

"Whoa, 'Rora, you came!" Paxton says, opening the door and grabbing my arm. He doesn't look at my dress. In fact, he seems to avoid looking at it, remembering how he checked me out in the hallway last time I was in it. "Come in, want a drink?"

"Just, no alcohol, please?" I ask. I know it's a bit irrational, that I won't become my father from just one sip of beer, but I don't want to risk it. Paxton smiles, pulling me over to a cabinet and holding his finger to his lips. Inside the cabinet is a box of canned Sprite, which he hands me one of.

"This is my stash for swim season." He explains, grabbing himself one as well. "Since I don't drink this time of year, you know?"

"Yeah, that makes sense. I just don't want to have to walk home drunk."

"I can drive you if you want, Aurora. I have to stay a bit late, though. Trent needs me to help clean up after."

"I'll be okay, Pax. I'll figure something out."

Paxton leaves after a few moments to make the rounds, leaving me by myself. I end up sitting on the patio outside, people watching as several teens in different stages of undress play spin the bottle on the other side of the yard.

"You're Aurora, right?" Someone asks. I look up from my sprite can to find Ben Gross standing above me.

"Yeah, that's me. Hey Ben." I say, patting the chair next to me for him to sit in, which he does.

"So, who invited you?"

"Paxton, you?"

"My girlfriend's teammate Zoe." He says, grabbing my empty can from my hand and bringing it to his nose. "You don't drink?"

"Nope, I have to walk home tonight." I explain, taking the can and crushing it under my foot the way my dad always does when he finishes a can. I shudder just making the correlation.

"Do you need a ride?"

"Nah, I'll be fine. It's only a few miles, I can walk back as long as I'm not drunk."

"Are you sure? I'd be happy to give you a ride."

"I'm sure, i'll be fine. But thank you, Ben."

"Holy Shit! There's a Coyote on the lawn!" Someone shouts. I stand as soon as I hear it, rushing over to the other side of the patio to find Marcus, Trent and a few others standing around staring at something.

Staring at Devi.

Devi downs a can of beer, stumbling closer and closer to the coyote.

"Devi, get back!" I shout at her, but she doesn't seem to notice me as she throws her beer down.

"Whoa, what are you doing?" Trent asks her, concern clear in his voice despite being drunk.

"Don't worry. He won't hurt me." Devi slurs out, swaying as she moves to crouch in front of the large dog.

"Devi, be careful!" I tell her. Again, I go ignored. I start to step forward, trying to stop her from getting hurt, but Trent grabs my arm. "Let go of me."