1.

Chapter 1: S1E2

Wednesday, August 8th

"Becs, you look good in everything." I tell my friend for what feels like the hundredth time in a row. I don't bother to drop my book and look at her this time around, though.

"Jesus Christ!" Someone shouts, loud enough to startle us both out of our thoughts. Rebecca stands immediately, rushing out of the room to find the cause of the commotion. I don't bother to, knowing it's one of Paxton's hookups already.

Paxton, whom I sit near in close to every class at school, has never given me the time of day. On the other hand, I know well what he does. Lots and lots of girls, the skanks, as Becca calls them.

I can hear Becca chattering with someone a few doors down before she reenters the room, this time with someone else.

"Hey, can you help me with something?" I hear Becca ask the girl. They show up at the door again a second later, and I'm startled to see who the new flavor of the month is.

Devi Vishwakumar

"Ghost here isn't much help, like, ever." Becca explains. I give her the finger immediately.

"Hey Devi, surprise seeing you here." I speak up. Becca looks at me a bit startled.

"You know her?" Becca asks me.

"Do I know you?" Devi asks.

"Yeah, I sit next to you in Math. And english, and right in front of you in history, next to Paxton." I tell her, though I'm slightly embarrassed that she doesn't know who I am. I suppose it makes sense, though. She's always so caught up in her rivalry with Ben Gross, plus her friendship with those other two girls.

"Oh... sorry." Devi says, though she seems rather embarrassed as her cheeks heat up and she looks everywhere but at me.

"Anyways... I'm going to the movies with Ghost and a few friends. Which pair of jeans is the fiercest?" Becca asks, turning her attention back to Devi.

"Oh, for sure the distressed ones. They look hot." Devi tells her with a small smile.

"Yeah, I got them at Old Navy. I work there."

"Cool. I got fired from retail. They said my hands were too sweaty to fold the clothes."

"So are you Pax's new girlfriend?" I cut in, turning the girl's attention to me. Rebecca chuckles.

"You think I look like one of Paxton's girlfriends?" Devi asks hopefully.

"Nope."

"You don't look like a skank." Rebecca elaborates onto my answer.

"Damn girl, savage burn." Devi compliments her.

"Thanks. I'm Rebecca, by the way, and that's Aurora, but everyone calls her Ghost."

"I'm Devi, it's nice to meet you." Devi says, shaking my friend's hand.

I catch sight of Paxton first, and by the look on his face, I know this is going to be bad.

"What are you doing?" He asks Devi, getting her attention. "Becca, I thought you were at work."

"I switched with Lisa, she gets her braces off tomorrow." Becca explains to her brother, glancing at me curiously and taking a seat on the edge of her bed.

"You said you were just going to the bathroom. What the hell?" He asks Devi, seeming angrier than I've ever seen him before.

"Wait, are you mad at me or something?" She asks, confused.