Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I had a pink simple dress under the gown. Sleeveless and reaching down to mid thigh and a pair of cream colored heels. I'd let my hair down in waves and done a simple makeup.

I felt happy to be doing this. To finally be graduating. And in a year I'll be enrolling in university. I was going to make Aaron proud, make myself proud and the rest of our family.

But I also felt a pang of sadness because Laurel wasn't here. Because she was still grieving and now she wasn't close to us.

Three days after coming back home she'd told Aaron to put her in a rehab facility and that there she'll get counseling and all the help she needed.

At first Aaron had been reluctant to let her go so fast but she insisted that it was for the best and he ended up agreeing.

Now, I could see Aaron next to my parents.

While he smiled at me proudly, my mother looked at everyone over her shoulder with distaste. My father seemed to find the painting on the wall interesting enough to stare at it endlessly.

It was no secret that they weren't too happy that I had attended this school. And now they had to be here for my graduation. They were also a bit overdressed. But at the moment I was too happy to actually let that bother me enough to ruin my day.

When my name was called I walked up there with a big grin on my face. After that everything was a blur.

Suddenly everyone was cheering and I was engulfed in several hugs.

"I'm going to miss you guys so much." I mumbled to my friends.

"You have to come back to visit." Leah looked at me sternly. They knew of my plans with Aaron and were very stubborn and set on the fact that I had to come back and hang out with them at least five times in the year. At least.

They all had very clear what they wanted. I was a bit jealous of that.

Alice was going for sociology, Leah was going to course to teach children with special needs, Greg signed up for physics. On the other hand, Jared wanted to pursue a career in acting. The same with Elliot but he decided to first take linguistics as a form of fall back as he said.

While I couldn't decide on anything.

But this year off actually served as a way of spending quality time with my husband. We needed the time alone. Time to actually spend together from morning 'till night. It was all exciting and at the same time a bit scary.

Aaron and I, we don't really know each other as well as we let everyone see. We haven't known each other long. But during these past three months we've gotten married, fought, fallen in lust, we then got along a little better and now we were pretty much in love. And if everything went right, this'll serve as a way to strengthen our bond. Our love.

"Congratulations." Aaron's voice made me turn around and I matched his grin. Not being able to hold it in, I ran to his arms and he indulged me by spinning me in a close circle. "I'm proud of you."

That whisper nearly had me in tears.

We shared a short kiss and he placed me back on the floor.

My parents gave me their congratulations and best wishes on my trip. It was no longer than ten minutes and they were already rushing out to their car and leaving the school grounds. I had to resist the urge to roll my eyes and the small twinge of sadness at the fact that they couldn't seem to endure being close to those I loved.

"This is your day. Be happy." Aaron whispered in my ear, his hand on my waist giving me a reassuring squeeze.

I am seriously lucky to have him by my side. To have this life.