Then their eyes where on me. Relief, surprise, fear, guilt, curiosity, all of those emotions flashed across the three standing at the foot of the hospital bed. When no one said or did anything I spoke.

"What happened?" as soon as I asked the blood drained from their faces.

"How are you feeling?" the doctor finally asked walking to my side and checking the machines next to the bed.

"My body aches." it honestly did. I felt really sore. I tried to sit up and instantly fell back to bed hissing.

"Don't move." the man came to stand on the other side of the bed, gently trying to make me feel comfortable on the bed, using the pillows to help me sit up just a tiny bit.

The man didn't move, in fact he was leaning close to my face. I finally took in his appearance. He wore a pair of black jeans with a white button up shirt; it seemed he hadn't shaved and also hadn't bothered with his hair which seemed to need a trim. The blue-green eyes looked tired, his mouth was set, his eyebrows drawn together in a concerned frown. I blinked a few times, looking down at our joined hands. The wedding rings startled me at first, I simply couldn't take my eyes off them.

"Miss, do you know why you're here?" the doctor asked, breaking me out of my own daze so that I had to look away from the rings and at his face.

I could feel the tension growing in the room, their eyes boring into me, waiting for an answer.

"I... I'm not entirely sure." I finally replied making the hand that the man interlocked with mine tense. So I turned to look at him. The more I did the more I remembered why he was so familiar. But it still didn't explain why I was in a hospital of all places.

"Aaron? What's going on?" a sigh of relief escaped him, his tense shoulders relaxed and he smiled just a little.

"You remember me." his tone made me believe it pleased him.

"Yes. We're married right?"

"Right." he was tensed again. "What else do you remember?"

I noticed the doctor scribbling down notes, so I decided to give my full attention to Aaron who seemed really worried.

"I sort of remember faces but can't put a name to them." I said testily waiting for a reaction.

"Did you know who Mr. Scarlatti was as soon as you saw him?" the doctor questioned.

"No. He did seem vaguely familiar, his voice was what I recognized more." I explained, hoping he understood that I had to really look at Aaron to know who he was. "What happened?"

"You-"

"We're going to do some tests just to see if everything's alright. We'll come get you in a few minutes." the doctor not so gracefully interrupted Aaron, then proceeded to walk out of the room.

"Are you going to tell me what happened?" I asked Aaron who flinched.

"It's better for Laurel to tell you. She was there."

Laurel came to stand a bit closer and took a deep breath before speaking. "We went to get ice cream. When we were walking out to the car you suddenly pushed me, that's when I noticed the man coming at us. He got mad and tried to take your purse but you pushed back, then he gave you a shove and you fell. Your head hit the concrete. There was so much blood. William couldn't get the man. It wasn't until later that we noticed the man had stabbed you. God, it all happened so fast!"

She started crying and went to sit on the small sofa. What bothered me was that I couldn't remember that ever happening. It had to be real, otherwise I wouldn't be here. I shifted my head to look at Aaron who stared at me with a worried expression.