Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

"But-"

"I'm not asking for your permission, I'm ordering you to." then his voice went colder, a dangerous glint in his eyes. "You don't want to mess with me little girls. You really don't."

There was a long pause.

"What are you waiting for? Leave us alone!" I snapped.

They regarded us with wary glances but didn't leave without a word. "Whatever, it was boring here anyways."

Aaron was a bit mean to them, but maybe that's what they needed to leave us alone. Then there's also the fact that he's used to being the top symbol of authority and he didn't like being messed with.

"They could have been raised better." he mumbled, still glaring after them. So I pulled his face towards me, with my hand on his cheek.

"Not everyone was raised to follow the higher societies rules. We were one of the unlucky bunch who couldn't have fun." I chuckled at his frown. "It's not normal to be raised with the sole purpose to be a wife, or be raised to take over your dad's business and be a husband. Not everyone had virtues and expectations drilled into their heads like us. We're the strange ones here, Aaron."

He opened his mouth to speak but I ran my thumb over his lips, succeeding in stopping him.

"We walk straight, as if we have a metal bar on our backs. We wear expensive clothes. We eat as if we're royalty. We speak a bit more formally than the rest of the guys here. Then you're mostly serious, as if nothing amuses you. The biggest one is that we're married and we're richer than rich. By God, be wary if we start dancing and touching food with our bare hands!"

Aaron chuckled, his arms going around my waist as he leaned down.

"I knew marrying you wasn't a bad idea. I enjoy your company."

"Really?" the idea excited me.

"Really." the smile forgotten, he leaned down until our lips touched softly. The kiss was kept that way, soft and gentle. Before it could escalate into something more, Aaron pulled away. "Enough show for one night."

I felt him stiffen as I wrapped my arms around his torso, laying my cheek on his chest. His arms slowly held me back.

"Am I being clingy? Because I can always fake to cough or sneeze to pull away." I suggested a bit pained.

He didn't answer for a while and that worried me. Just as I pulled away to fake a cough, my friends approached us.

"You guys are quite the pair." Jared commented. "The way you got rid of the triplets was impressive. Mean and cold hearted, but efficient."

"How did-"

"Don't worry darling, we were paying attention. That's why we noticed." Elliot winked at me.

"You're too well mannered to do something. Want me to beat them up for you?" Alice cracked her knuckles for emphasis.

"Alice!" Leah exclaimed with embracement.

"What? Those three need to learn a lesson." Alice said in her defense.

"I think that after that cold rejection, they won't get close to Mr. Scarlatti or any guy for that matter." Jess chuckled.

"Aaron's fine." my husband said but didn't smile. His voice was void of emotion and so were his eyes.

Nobody said anything. They all just shifted uncomfortably in their spots.

I've got a feeling he's going back to the Aaron I've always known.

And for one of those rare times, I was right. Aaron went back to his usual self. Cold, distant, uninterested, emotionless. All in a matter of minutes. It made everyone around us uncomfortable.