xv. the sauna test

Start from the beginning

"That's lovely! I had a date with Karen Wheeler," Billy exclaimed, his tone surprisingly cheerful given the bizarre circumstances. Cassidy's eyes widened in astonishment. "You were supposed to have a date with a middle-aged woman?" she raised an eyebrow, a mix of confusion and disbelief in her expression.

"Don't yell at me and judge my type of women, Sinclair," Billy declared defensively, his pride apparent. Cassidy, unimpressed, rolled her eyes in response to his defensive stance. "I'd rather be alone in this world than with you! I don't want to be here more than you do," she spat, frustration coloring her words as she expressed her discontent with their predicament.

"Whatever," Billy shrugged, his nonchalant attitude further fueling the tension between them. The exchange left an air of unresolved conflict as they navigated the challenges of the strange and unsettling Upside Down.

Cassidy stood up, determination in her steps as she started walking away. "Where are you going! There's monsters here! I can't be alone! I can get hurt!" Billy's shout echoed after her. Cassidy turned around, squinting her eyes at him. "Dude, you fought Steve 'Hair' Harrington last year, and basically won! I think you can fight off monsters alone," she said with a sarcastic smile.

"You're the one with the superpowers!" Billy spat, frustration evident in his voice. Cassidy rolled her eyes at the retort, acknowledging the complications that her abilities brought to their situation. The unresolved tension lingered as they navigated the challenges of the Upside Down, each facing their fears in their own way.

"Fine. If you try to touch me, kiss me, or get a date with me because you're a total pedophile and don't deny it, I will fucking kill you," Cassidy threatened, her words sharp and uncompromising. Billy nodded quickly in acknowledgment, realizing the severity of the warning. Cassidy resumed walking, and she noticed Billy keeping a distance, opting not to walk beside her. The tension between them continued to simmer in the unsettling environment of the Upside Down.

Cassidy emitted a frustrated grunt, pivoting to face him with determination. "Are you actually going to walk me through finding an escape route or not?" she spat. Billy approached her, and together, they set off. "Do you think there's a way out of this place?" he queried.

Cassidy nodded. "Two years ago, there were two entrances – one sealed off in Hawkins Lab and another hidden in a tree, the same one Nancy Wheeler used. Although it's closed now, reopening it could be our ticket to freedom."

⭑⭑⭑

Grinning, 'Cassidy' peered into the mirror, brushing her hair. She occupied a separate bathroom from Eleven, who was in the adjacent one. Suddenly, a jolt ran through her. "Ugh. She's awake," she mumbled, referring to the real Cassidy trapped in the Upside Down. Placing the brush on the counter, she exited the bathroom.

Cassidy walked over to Max's room, but her steps stalled when she overheard Eleven's conversation. Standing discreetly behind the door, she listened intently.

"What doesn't make sense?" Max inquired.

"Heather. The blood. The ice," Eleven responded with evident concern. In that moment, 'Cassidy' felt a knot tighten in her stomach, realizing the depth of the mysteries and challenges they were facing. Mentally cursing herself for the tangled web of circumstances, she absorbed the weight of the unfolding situation.

Eleven's growing suspicion lingered, contemplating the possibility that Billy and Heather might be Flayed. However, she hadn't extended that suspicion to Cassidy yet. Keeping her thoughts guarded, Eleven refrained from voicing her concerns, choosing instead to observe Cassidy closely.