"How do you go about doing that?"

"First, we must draw some blood." McGonagall flicked her wand, and I watched as a crystal phial filled up with a scarlet liquid that I knew was my blood. Surprisingly, I felt nothing as the blood was drawn from my body, no cuts or scratches on me. "Then, we use some magic to separate the essences and substances your blood is made from. This should reveal whose magic is seeping into your blood.

"For now, however, you must forget.

"Obliviate."

. . . . . 

"Hey, what did McGonagall want?" James asked when I returned. I noticed the time-10 o'clock. Had I really been gone that long? And had James really waited up for me, with the common room so scarily empty?

"Oh, just to... discuss Quidditch."

The conversation I'd had with McGonagall was slightly hazy in my head. I blamed it on the little sleep I'd had over the past week, waking up early and going to sleep late, kept up by the steady hum of Konjit's dehumidifier.

James nodded, looking incredibly flustered for some reason. "Um, listen, I know you and I don't work together an awful lot and you probably already have a Potions partner, but I was hoping that you would maybe want to consider-"

"Working with you for Potions?"

"Y-yeah..."

I beamed, giving James a brief hug. "I'd love to." James blushed, likely from the compressing heat of the hearth.

"You going to the dormitories?" I asked.

"No, I've got some work..."

"Me too. How about we study together?"

"Sure!"

"I'll just go grab my stuff..."

I returned with my books, turning to see James studying, earphones in. I placed my Transfiguration textbook next to his and he held out an earphone for me. I accepted it, grinning. "There's Nothing Holding Me Back" by Shawn Mendes, a Muggle artist, began playing as the two of us sat back, reading through our own textbooks, my head resting on James' shoulder. 

"Hey James, are you he-" A loud thud shook the common room, and I ran out from behind the couch to see Patrick. He was paralysed, eyes wide open but unblinking. "Oh my God, Pat..." I put my hand against his neck to check for his pulse-thankfullly still present. "Who did this?" James asked, frantically shaking Patrick. 

"I don't know, but it looks like he's been paralysed, or worse, petrified."

"That's rubbish! Only a Basilisk can-"

James' eyes widened, as did mine. "We have to take him to Madam Pomfrey."

 James nodded, helping me carry Patrick to the Hospital Wing. It was a long journey down, and in paralysis, Patrick was fairly heavy, but what had to be done had to be done. We finally arrived at the Hospital Wing, gasping and panting. Madam Pomfrey opened the door, her eyes widening when she saw the state Patrick was in. "What happened to him?" she asked, helping us get him onto a bed. 

"He just- he fell to the floor," I answered. "He came out into the common area, asking for James, before... this." Madam Pomfrey hurried about, trying to detect the cause of the problem. "He's certainly not Stunned..." 

Madam Pomfrey turned toward the two of us. "Take a seat, Potter, Evans. This may take a while." She turned toward Dumbledore's portrait, frantic. "Albus! Please, wake Miverva." Dumbledore nodded, leaving his portrait as Madam Pomfrey cast a few simple spells to check Patrick's pulse and blood pressure.