3

Life at Hogwarts could only be described as a steady rhythm, every beat signalling each magical moment that passed. As the first week ebbed past, I fell back into my regular routine, and just like that, the world was once again spinning on its axis, everything back to the way it used to be. Mornings were spent by James, Madeline and I flying, practicing for the impending Quidditch trials. The cold air would always be fraught with tension, the only relief being Konjit's cheers from down below. Pat and Matteo were far too lazy to join us, preferring to sleep in. 

Patrick and I had been accepted to Duelling Club by a (very surprised) Professor Chang, who had just issued me a detention for swapping out her real porcupine for a hyper-realistic plastic one. "You're lucky I'm accepting you after this little stunt, Anika," was all she had to say. 

Herbology had not yet come around, set to start again in our second week. James and I, however, had been practicing using the penknife, cutting holes in our bath sponges. (I had to mail my family for sponges after, as did James.) Patrick went back to his normal self, stealing my food and constantly trying to best me at Charms. 

After what had been a long week, the final lesson of Friday rolled around-Defence Against the Dark Arts. I practically skipped all the way to class, I was so excited. James was right along with me, as was Matteo. Madeline and Konjit couldn't really care less, and, for some strange reason, Patrick wore an incredibly pained expression. I ended up dragging him to Defence Against the Dark Arts.

As we all went to take our seats, we realised that the desks were gone, pushed to the corners of the corners of the room . A handsome mahogany cupboard stood in front of us, Professor Creevey grinning as we filed in. "Okay, class! Today is the day! You are going to encounter the Boggarts. Hopefully, as a class, we can build up enough humour to successfully banish this one. Remember the incantation-Riddikulus!" We all repeated the incantation after Professor Creevey, practicing the wand movement he'd taught us. 

"Now, I want everyone in a line-how about you go first, Anika?" I nodded, taking my place in front of the cupboard. Instead of quaking in fear, I smiled, excited at the prospect of encountering my first-ever Boggart. "Alohomora!" The closet door swung open, and out of it climbed a girl. A girl who looked exactly like me, dressed in a uniform from the local comprehensive. Taking a deep breath, I raised my wand, picturing myself in a clown costume.

"Riddikulus!"

A cracking sound entailed and I watched in shock as my Muggle self shot up, suddenly in a clown costume and stilts. The whole class burst out laughing, James whistling appreciatively. "James, come on down!" James took his position in front of the Boggart, shuddering as it twisted into an illusion of his entire family, lying dead on the floor. Shuddering, he summoned his strength, raising his wand.

"RIDDIKULUS!"

His family rose, turned into a group of Barbie dolls. "Well done, well done! Konjit?"

Konjit took James' place, staring back at herself-with no hair. "AAAH!" she screeched, jumping backward, before raising her wand. "RIDDIKULUS!"

I doubled over laughing as bald Konjit morphed into Humpty Dumpty, wobbling about. Professor Creevey nodded in satisfaction. "Nice one, Konjit!" I exclaimed, grinning. "That... was horrifying," she replied, shuddering. 

"Okay, let's have Madeline up next!"

Madeline stepped in front of the Boggart, watching as it took the form of a hyena. She let out a soft squeal before stepping back. 

"Riddikulus!"

The hyena turned into an adorable chihuahua, Madeline smiling down at the precious little thing. "Okay, let's have Presley up..."