Things Like These

He didn't even remember my name  All those years that Eddie and I spent together, and all for what? He drops on one knee and says, "Gabby, will you marry me?" After months of leaving sticky notes on his door from some ghost that nobody even knows. My own roommate.

He, a tall tree protecting the treehouse and the children crying inside from the storm. I, a wallflower. It's my fault anyway. I was the one who snuck the pills into Gabby's drink out of jealousy. He was the one who made me do it by telling to me he's proposing. He was the one who drank the drink and lost all memory of me.

And I'm the one who won't even exist anymore by tomorrow. Josh won't care. Mully won't notice. And Narrator won't even know. I said, "Good morning, Eddie." He said, "Who are you, and why are you in my house?!" I said it was me, Gaege. Your roommate. The one who's been leaving sticky notes on your hospital door while you recovered. He didn't believe me. He attacked me out of self-defense. Just one more scar to add to the countless on my arms.

Hours later, hours ago, I went to the store and bought the rope. Tonight, now, if you're reading this Eddie, just know... I'm sorry. I regret doing it, but won't regret this action. I love you. But, I guess, if you want to see me one last time, come to the basement. It won't be long now, so hurry, if you can.

I love you. I really do. I don't know why I did it. The drink was for Gabby, not you. You would have been the one in my position, and she in yours. You'd run into my arms, crying, because she doesn't remember you. Why did I do it? I... don't remember anymore. It's things like these that keep me up at night.

          - Gaege

———

the end! i'm sorry if you're confused, i was feeling poetic and creative (if you could call it that.) if you would like me to explain this, comment and I'll explain it to you. thanks for reading :)