Chapter 11 - Truth Or Lie

Start from the beginning

Her expression as she gazed at me, it was lonely, sad and guilty. I could not comprehend why she had that kind of expression. There was this feeling inside me that screamed when she showed that face, as if ordering me to do something for her. But, that feeling died when the reality that she would never allow me to do something for her.

"Hey, Yozora."

A voice so quiet and small that was unbelievable for me to hear from her. She called my name with a feeling I could not describe.

"...yes, Miss Minamoto?"

When I replied, her expression changed. She frowned, sadly? I did not know why. She seemed to have a hard time speaking her mind to me. I just waited for her to say what she wanted.

"Why...why do you call Mom and I Miss Minamoto? Aren't we family?"

Why? That question, was the answer not obvious? Of course it was because—

"Were it not you two who said that you don't admit that I'm your family before?"

That moment, they definitely did not see me as their family. Both of Miss Minamoto said it. I was not their family. It was just a sentence, a few words. Yet, that was enough to make me realize the truth. When I heard it, I strangely felt like it was nothing to me. I merely thought that it was normal, natural. I could not even feel pain or sorrow when that said it. I was like, 'Oh, I see.' After that, I noticed that it was improper for me to call them by their name or calling them with their relationship with me. There was no more Big Sis, no more Mom. Just Miss Minamoto.

However, now, when I answered Miss Minamoto's question, her expression when she heard me caused something to stir inside me. Her eyes became glassy. Her cheeks trembled. Her frown relaxed yet she seemed to be expressing more of her feelings. Her lips shook.

I was frozen. I didn't know what happened. Questions lingered and roamed inside me.

Why did she want to cry? Did I say something wrong? Did she not remember? Why did she have to care in the first place?

"I'm sorry."

What? Why? What was she apologizing for? Wasn't it me who made her cry? Why was she crying? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?

"I'm sorry, Yozora..."

Again, something inside me shook my mind. Her tears rolling down awakened something inside me. There was something screaming again inside, forcing me to day something.

"Why?"

"You're our family, Yozora. Please, I'm sorry."

"But, you said that I—"

"We were the wrong one! At that time, it was our mistake! Mom and I weren't supposed to say that to you! I'm sorry...really...."

Mistake? What was the mistake? Did I remember wrong? Why were they not supposed to say that? Wasn't it true that I was not their family?

"It was not a mistake, right? After all, I was not your—"

"Stop! You're my little brother! You're Mom's son! Regardless of whatever happens! Even if we had once denied that fact before, you're our family! Please, Yozora... I....."

I'm your little brother? I'm Mom's son? That's—

When those words came to my mind, I could feel something stopping me from believing them. It was as if I was not allowed to believe them. However, due to that, my mind turned blank like an empty page nil of words or thoughts.

Even in this state, I said to Miss Minamoto.

"You don't have to tell me such lies. If calling you Miss Minamoto is a no, then how should I—"