Chapter 2 - The One With The Revelation

“What??” Ross didn’t know what he would feel that time. All he knew was that his world was suddenly falling apart. “I don’t... I don’t understand. What went wrong? Rachel, we’re doing okay...”

                “No, we’re not, Ross. I’m not... for a long time now.” Rachel suddenly started to well up. “Look, I love you, you know that, right? More than anyone else in the world... You’re one of my best friends and I will love you forever. That’s why I can’t do this to you.”

                “Do what??” He was suddenly starting to raise his voice. He didn’t know what’s going on and this was making him crazy. “Rachel, if you love me, why are you doing this to me? Do you have a problem that you’re not telling me? ‘Coz we can solve it together.” Ross held her. She was already crying and seemed like she was losing all the strength to push him away.

                “You don’t understand.”

                “Then make me!” Rachel didn’t talk for a long time. “Rache—“

                “I’m having an affair.”

                Ross couldn’t move or say anything for quite a few seconds. “What?” Rachel couldn’t almost hear him.

                Rachel cried harder. “I’m sorry...”

                Ross kept shaking his head and still couldn’t believe what Rachel just told him. It couldn’t be true. Nothing was making any sense. Rachel loved her. She just told him. “That’s not true.”

                “It is, Ross. I love him. And I want to be with him.”

                Ross didn’t know whether he wanted to yell at her or to just get away from her or do anything that could make her feel how he was feeling... how hurt and mad he was... and how he wished that he was only having a nightmare.

                “Who is he?”

                He didn’t know why he needed to know. Something about what’s going on was making him think that it wasn’t all true. And maybe finding out who the other guy was would convince him that it was.

                Again, Rachel didn’t immediately answer. And nothing would have ever prepared Ross for the name she said. “It’s Joey.”

Back to present time...

                I was still staring at the photo when my 18-year old sister came to my room shouting.

“Emma! Everyone’s waiting for you downstai—“

She probably saw me wipe my tears away because she stopped.

“What’s going on? Are you okay?”

“Yeah,” I had to fake a laugh. “I just feel bad for having to leave.” She gave me a skeptical look. “What?”

“Do you think I’m stupid?”

This time, my laugh was real. I shook my head. “I just miss Mom...” It was then that her smile slowly faded away. “Hey! Now I made you feel bad. Look, don’t mind me okay. Just forget about what I said. Let’s just go. They’re waiting for me, right? Come on.” I tried my best to get her away from my room as fast as possible. And I couldn’t help but notice that look she had on the photo I was just staring a while ago and how a tear, almost invisible, fell from her eye.

Then, I started to remember things again... and some of those didn’t even happen while I was there... things that were only told to me, in an attempt to make me feel better.