╰➢ gryffindor's new quidditch captain

"I ALWAYS KNEW THEY'D LET HIM GO." Nicole smiled as she took a bite out of the stale oatmeal, glancing at Hermoine as she rummaged through the letters that came addressed to them.

Book­lists have ar­rived,' Hermoine said, handing over one of the en­velopes up to Nicole, who was stand­ing on a chair. "About time, I thought they'd for­got­ten, they usu­al­ly come much ear­li­er than this..."

Nicole nodded gratefully, then opened her let­ters.

Three pieces? This confused Nicole— she usually got two.

The girl opened the three pieces of parchment: one the usu­al re­minder that term start­ed on the first of Septem­ber; the oth­er telling her which books her would need for the com­ing year.

"We only need two new ones," Hermoine called out, read­ing the list. "The Stan­dard Book of Spells, Grade 5, by Mi­ran­da Goshawk, and De­fen­sive Mag­ical The­ory, by Wilbert Slinkhard."

Then, Hermoine paused. She started squealing.

"What?" Nicole asked with a raised brow.

"Come on!" Hermoine smiled, grabbing her hand as she pulled the girl over towards Ron and Harry's room.

The door banged open. Hermione came tear­ing in­to the room, her cheeks flushed and her hair fly­ing. There was an en­ve­lope in her hand. Nicole walked in as well, still confused, the extra envelope still unopened.

"Did you - did you get -?"

She spot­ted the badge in Har­ry's hand and let out a shriek.

"I knew it!' she said ex­cit­ed­ly, bran­dish­ing her let­ter. "Me too, Har­ry, me too!"

It hit her. Hermoine was a prefect.

"No," said Har­ry quick­ly, push­ing the badge back in­to Ron's hand. "It's Ron, not me."

"It - what? i-"

"Ron's pre­fect, not me," Har­ry said.

"Ron?" said Hermione, her jaw drop­ping. "But... are you sure? I mean -"

Nicole sniggered while she turned red as Ron looked round at her with a de­fi­ant expression on his face.

"Its my name on the let­ter," he said.
"I..." said Hermione, look­ing thor­ough­ly bewil­dered. "well... wow! Well done, Ron! That's re­al­ly -"

"Un­ex­pect­ed," said George, nod­ding.

"No," said Hermione, blush­ing hard­er than ev­er, "no it's not... Ron's done loads of... he's re­al­ly..."

The door be­hind her opened a lit­tle wider and Mrs. Weasley backed in­to the room car­ry­ing a pile of fresh­ly laun­dered robes.

"Gin­ny and Aurora said the book­lists had come at last," she said, glanc­ing around at all the envelopes as she made her way over to the bed and start­ed sort­ing the robes in­to two piles. "If you give them to me I'll take them over to Di­agon Al­ley this af­ter­noon and get your books while you're pack­ing. Ron, I'll have to get you more pyja­mas, these are at least six inch­es too short, I can't be­lieve how fast you're grow­ing... what colour would you like?"

"Get him red and gold to match his badge,"said George, smirk­ing.

"Match his what?" said Mrs. Weasley absent­ly, rolling up a pair of ma­roon socks and plac­ing them on Ron's pile.

"His badge,' said Fred, with the air of get­ting the worst over quick­ly. "His love­ly shiny new pre­fect's badge."

Fred's words took a mo­ment to pen­etrate Mrs. Weasley's pre­oc­cu­pa­tion with pyjamas.