Chapter One - Why Me????

Lisa unsuccessfully juggled the groceries, her shoulder bag and the apartment door keys.  Losing their struggle with gravity they all ended up on the pavement with a thick thud.  An exasperated sigh escaped her lips quickly followed by an exaggerated sucking of her teeth.  Grabbing the keys first she finally was able to open the door despite the jack frost nipping at her fingers. 

Swearing under her breath as another arctic chilled wind swooped down as she bent down to get her stuff and escape into the warmth of her apartment.  Another gust of wind blew her into the hallway and slammed the door shut behind her.  She shivered, then sighed as she spotted the envelopes sticking out of her mailbox.

"Not more bills," she mumbled to herself, grimacing as she saw the angry red letters on some of them. 

"Tis the season to be jolly" she found herself singing halfheartedly as she tried to follow the motivational guru advice and be thankful for having been entrusted to pay back all this money in the first place.

 The two meager bags of groceries were barely enough to have a decent meal but Lisa was determined to enjoy Christmas regardless.   She started to put away the canned ham, dinner rolls, rice, macaroni and cheese and turkey slices. 

Then with a sigh of relief she sank into her couch, leaned back her head and started to nod off.  It was a really long 3 block trek from train station especially with the wind attempting to push her back where she came from. 

She shivered herself awake and for a heart stopping moment wondered if the slum landlord had turned off the heat.  Thankfully, she remembered that she had turned it off when she left to conserve energy and roused herself from her comfy couch to go and turn it back on.  Her relief was short-lived because when she turned on the lights in the now darkened apartment , she only got more darkness.

"Son of a bitch!" she shouted in the rapidly growing darkness as unchecked tears of frustration rolled from her eyes.

How did it get like this, what am I gonna do now, she moaned, as endless questions rolled around in her head.  They were several guys she could call to help her but that help came at a price she was not willing to pay.

She was an attractive woman, intelligent as she had graduated college and also pretty ambitious.  So why is it that I am struggling and my beauty seems to be a token for  bartering  goods and services?  Why is It that a man feels he is justified in getting some, just for offering to help out a woman in need? Right then and there, Lisa decided that she would no longer fight the unspoken rule instead she would make her own rules.

Hi guys!

Thanks for reading! Let me know what you think in the comments below, would love to hear from you.  What do you think Lisa's new rules are gonna be? Do you think she can pull it off?  Do you ladies agree that our looks get the wrong attention from guys sometimes?