"I don't! Oh, God! If we're talking about this, have you seen the way Rafael Montez looks at you, Maddie?"

"No, it's not like tha-"

"Raf and Maddie, sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-" began Konjit. 

"STOP IT! You're one to talk, Konjit, making googly eyes at that fourth-year Slytherin, Chad Lee..."

"I WAS NOT MAKING EYES! I JUST HAVE LONG LASHES!"

"Excuses!"

The three of us argued all the way back to Gryffindor Tower, back together after a long summer spent apart.

. . . . .

"Welcome back to Defence Against the Dark Arts," began Professor Creevey. Professor Creevey was an amazing teacher. Even though he'd been quite young when he joined Dumbledore's Army and hadn't been able to fight in the Battle of Hogwarts (the battle in which his older brother, Colin Creevey, had died) while he was a third year because he was underage, he had still learnt some incredibly complex spells for a first year, even conjuring a partial Patronus. Naturally, he was one of my favourite teachers.

"This year, we're going to explore some more dark creatures, starting with... Boggarts!" Whispers began to spread, all of us excited at the prospect of banishing Boggarts. "Of course, we will be going through some theory work this lesson, but I can assure you, next lesson will be one I think you all will be anticipating. Open up your workbooks to Page 30 and go to the cloze passage. I want you all have a go at filling it out and then we'll talk through it..."

Everyone got out their pens, hurriedly scribbling down their answers. I filled out my answers as fast as I could, wanting to be the one to read the passage out. I knew it was very Minister Granger of me, but Defence Against the Dark Arts was my strongest subject, right along with Charms. Flying, of course, remained my strongest point, but that wasn't an OWL subject. 

"Okay, who wants to read out their answers-Alright then, Anika, since you're so enthusiastic."

I grinned at Professor Creevey, clearing my throat.

"Boggarts are creatures that show those who encounter them their biggest fear. They are fairly common and often found in cupboards. Boggarts can be banished with a simple spell, 'Riddikulus.' This spell can be performed by a wizard or witch by imagining their worst fear in a more humorous light. For example, the Boggart of  the late Remus Lupin, a known member of the Order of the Phoenix and a known lycanthrope, or werewolf, (see Pg. 394) had a fear of the full moon. With the use of the Riddikulus spell, Lupin was able to turn the full moon into a balloon. 

Boggarts flee when they are ridiculed to the point of embarrassment. Success in banishing a boggart comes from quick thinking and a vivid imagination."

Professor Creevey looked impressed. "I see you did your holiday reading on Remus Lupin, Anika! Ten points to Gryffindor." Patrick clapped me on the back and James shot me a thumbs-up from across the room. I grinned, turning back toward Professor Creevey. "Well, now that we know what boggarts are and how they can be banished, let's have a go at imagining our worst fears and turning them into a comical image. I want you all to close your eyes and try that now." 

I shut my eyes, and to my immediate surprise, the immediate image that appeared in my mind was myself without magic. There I stood, a shell of a person, a Muggle, no wand, no broom. How was I going to turn this into something funny? 

Trying to focus, I distorted that image of myself, picturing myself in a clown costume and stilts. Watching myself wobble about, I laughed, my eyes fluttering open. Looking around the room, I saw my classmates with their eyes closed The only person who'd been successful other than myself was Patrick, who opened his eyes almost simultaneously to me. Professor Creevey smiled at us, clearly impressed. "Well, what were your fears?" he asked, lowering his voice to a whisper so the others could concentrate.