Chapter 14

Waking up groggily, (Y/N) rubbed her eyes, wiping away the gunk that had collected. She sat up and threw the covers off of her before setting her feet on the floor and stretching. The floor was cold but she couldn't be bothered to really care as she took note of a slip of paper on her nightstand.

   '(Y/N) I have a meeting to attend to, I'll be back later today. We need to train some more for an upcoming mission you'll accompany me on.'

   She sighed and looked out the window at the sunlight.
   "Figures he'd be gone. He'd have never let me stay in this late," she mumbled, her voice trailing off and growing quieter as she finished her thought. Though it wasn't exactly necessary, she still donned her uniform and sword before quickly throwing her haori on over. After taming her bed head she looked at her reflection solemnly.

   "I used to wear such a variety of clothes but now..." she frowned. While she did have a couple other outfits she could wear, none would permit her easily fastening her sword to her person and the thought of going anywhere without it while demons were still a threat was out of the question.

   She opened the door with a sad look. The time off was nice, sure, but what was she supposed to do? She wanted to leave the estate but then what? Come back in an hour, or maybe even less, to bug Senjuro? She had made her way to the front door and stopped. Suddenly it felt as though a light bulb went off in her mind.

   "Kocho-sama is probably at the same meeting with Kyojuro-san but I can talk to those three girls and her tsugoku! We're in the same boat so hopefully we can be friends," she stated with excitement.
   "Huh?" a voice sounded behind her. She turned to be met with Senjuro's rather confused face.

   "Oh! Good morning, Senjuro-kun! Kyojuro-san is at a meeting so I was gonna go to the butterfly estate to meet Kocho-sama's tsugoku, care to join?" she asked, putting her shoes on quickly. He shook his head and gave her a polite smile.
   "No thanks, but have fun, I'll see you later," he answered. His voice was soft and had a gentle warmth to it.

   "Alright, bye-bye!" (Y/N) said, stepping closer to give Senjuro a quick hug which he awkwardly returned, not used to any physical affection from the girl. She ran off in a hurry, not knowing the exact cause of her excitement but welcoming it none the less.

✩☆★☆✩

   Her pace slowed as she neared the estate until it was a casual walk to the door. Before she got distracted and headed towards the garden. She had noticed a plethora if butterflies and followed, admiring them. As she was distracted, a slight presence brushed past her shoulder. It was the girl from final selection. The other tsugoku. Kanao!

   She smiled and stepped up to her as a butterfly landed on her finger, fluttering it's wings every so often.
   "Hello! Kanao, was it? I'm (Y/N), it's nice to meet you!" she said with a smile. Kanao only gave a blank stare in return. Feeling somewhat awkward (Y/N) continued.

   "You're training under Kocho-sama, right? I'm training with Kyojuro-san!" she smiled and pointed to herself when mentioning who her mentor was. Still no answer. (Y/N) stepped back and crossed her arms before rocking back and forth on her heels. "You don't talk much, huh?" she said sheepishly looking at her peer. The only response given was the same hollow smile.

   "Mmm. Well. That's alright, my sister never talked either! Do you mind of I still hang around you though?" she asked, tilting her head and praying she'd get a positive answer. Kanao blinked, her face never changing as she reached the hand the butterfly wasn't sitting on into her skirt pocket and pulled out a coin.

   She flipped it and both girls watched as it flew up before coming back down and being caught by Kanao's hand. She held the coin in her closed fist for a moment before opening her hand and holding it out to (Y/N). It was heads. (Y/N) leaned over slightly, studying the coin before looking back up at Kanao.

   "So uh, does that mean I can stay?" (Y/N) asked, feeling somewhat foolish. The stoic girl gave a small nod. (Y/N) smiled and plopped herself on the deck. She swung her legs merrily as she watched the butterfling flutter about with Kanao.

   It was calm for a moment but the silence was soon broken by the presence of two kakushi and an injured boy.
   "That's Tsuyuri-sama and (L/N)-sama. They're tsugokus," one of them introduced. In response to the boy's confusion they explained what a tsugoku was while Kanao and (Y/N) looked over. Kanao still bore the same polite smile while (Y/N) looked at them curiously.

   "Tsuyuri-sama, pardon the intrusion, but may we enter?" no response. "We've received orders from Kocho-sama..." the kakushi continued, a slight hint of desperation in her voice. Kanao gave a closed eye smile. The two looked at (Y/N) for any type of assistance but were met with a shrug.

   "Excuse me, but who are you?" a girl with similar butterfly pins to Kanao said with a voice that demanded an answer. The two kakushi and the boy jolted at the unexpected voice. "Are you two kakushi?" she continued. The one not holding the boy, but rather a box nodded. "Alright follow me," the girl said, leading them to an entrance.

   "Uhm, may I go with you guys?" (Y/N) asked, feeling somewhat awkward. The silence with Kanao was nice but she did hope to get a conversation in today and there were currently two new people at the estate seeing as the kakushi would unfortunately have to leave. The girl with the pins gave a curt nod while the boy smiled softly. (Y/N) returned it and hopped off the deck, following behind.

   Once they got closer to the room the boy, who she'd come to find out was named Tanjiro, they heard loud yelling. (Y/N) pondered it, finding it awfully familiar. Once they entered they were greeted with three young girls trying to get a crying boy to drink a medicine. The girl with the pins, Aoi, ran over to him and began scolding him.

   (Y/N) noticed Tanjiro's eyes start to water as he asked the kakushi holding him to take him closer. Once he got close enough he expressed gratitude that his friend was okay while the other cried about nearly becoming a spider.

   (Y/N) was shocked to see Zenitsu here and though concerned about the spider story, opted to get the details later. They didn't matter right now as he was okay. Her feet moved on their own as she ran to the opposite side of his bed giving her plenty of room to tackle him in a hug without knocking over Tanjiro.

Sorry for the wait guys, I was having writers block. Buuuut, I've found that writing drabbles helps me get rid of it so that's good, it won't be such an issue in the future :)