8

CHARLOTTES POV
I was laying in bed with Amelia. She had her head on my chest and I rubbed her back. She hadn't stopped crying since she got here and my heart ached for her. She had such a heavy heart and felt that everything was her fault. I rubbed her back and I looked down at her.
"Do you want dinner?" I asked her.
"Yeah," she said quietly.
"Do you want to order something?" I asked.
"Sure," she nodded as she sat up. She pushed her hair behind her ear and looked at me with a tear stained face.
"I hope you know this wasn't your fault," I said.
"I wish I never left," she said.
"But you leaving didn't cause this. He didn't want the help when you were here, and that didn't change when you left. He never wanted the help and never got it," I said, "it wasn't anything you did."
"It's what I didn't do," she said sadly.
"You did what you had to do to keep yourself sober and there's no fault in that after how hard you tried to help him," I said.
"Can we eat and talk later?" She sniffled.
"Yes," I said and hugged her before getting up. I ordered a pizza and Amelia and I walked downstairs. Cooper took the kids on a getaway weekend so Amelia could stay as long as she needed. I also knew Amelia hated people asking her questions and caring for her, and I felt like just us might be good for her.
"How are the kids?" Amelia asked quietly.
"They're good," I said, "they've missed you."
"Yeah," she said. She sat down at the counter and she looked across the way and zoned out. I hated seeing her so numb.
"Can I tell you something?" She asked.
"Sure," I said.
"I really want to drink," she said.
"Okay," I said slowly, not sure where this was going.
"I want to drink so badly Charlotte," she said as she looked at me, "and that makes me crazy because shit like that is what killed my husband."
"Do you want to go to a meeting after dinner?" I asked.
"No," she said.
"Amelia," I said.
"I've already said what needs to be said," she said.
"Okay," I said.
"There's nothing in the house right?" She asked, and I could tell by the way she said it she was scared she was going to relapse.
"No there's nothing here," I said.
"Okay," she said as her voice got shaky.
"Are you sure you don't want to go to a meeting?" I offered.
"I kinda just want to eat pizza and go to bed," she said.
"Okay," I said.

AMELIAS POV
I got out of the shower and got dressed in pajamas. I walked down to Charlotte's room and she was sitting on the bed on her phone.
"Hey," she said, "you need something?"
"Can I act like a 5 year old and sleep in your room?" I chuckled.
"Yes come here," she said. I smiled as I walked over and laid down next to her. She brought me into her arms and rubbed my back.
"Are you afraid you're going to do something?" She asked me after a while.
"You can't send me away if I answer," I said.
"I'm not sending you away Amelia," she said gently.
"I am very scared I'm going to relapse," I said, "and I think if I relapse again there won't be a next time."
"Okay," she said, "alcohol? drugs?"
"Alcohol," I said, "I've wanted a drink so badly all day."
"Well," she said, "Ice cream sounds just as good."
"No," I shrugged.
"Okay," she said.
"I think I'm going to try to get some rest," I said.
"Goodnight," she said.
"Goodnight," I said.

OWENS POV
"Where's Amelia? She's not on the OR board," I asked Derek as we were walking across the skywalk.
"She had to fly back to LA," Derek said.
"Tonight?" I asked.
"She had a family thing," Derek said.
"Is she okay?" I asked. He didn't say anything and we kept walking.
"Is Amelia okay?" I asked him.
"She doesn't want to talk about it," Derek said, "I don't know how long she's staying. She has something going on. If you want to find out call her."
"Okay," I said. We parted ways and I called Amelia. It rang and rang and eventually went to voicemail. I called again and the same thing. I called a third time and she didn't answer. Ugh. I needed to make sure she's okay. I felt my phone buzz and it was her.
"Stop calling," it read.
"Are you okay?" I sent.
"I'll see you when I come back," her next text read. Something must be bad if she won't tell me why she left.

AMELIAS POV
"Where are we going?" I asked.
"Lunch," Charlotte said, "with everyone."
"I don't want to can we turn around?" I asked.
"Amelia everyone misses you," she explained.
"Fine," I said. We got to lunch and it was nice to see everyone. I'll admit that, but I couldn't feel at home. Not anymore. Not ever. I called this place home because of Ryan. Now I'm sitting here with the people I love and I feel so lost and drained. I didn't even touch my food because I just felt so numb and lonely. I don't know what I'm going to do.