Chapter 2: Meeting Sombra

Start from the beginning

Spike: Uh... [laughs nervously]

Twilight Sparkle: Celestia's orders!

Princess Celestia: [echoing] If the Empire is filled with hope and love, those things are reflected across all of Equestria. If hatred and fear take hold... [echoes out]

Twilight Sparkle: Of course!

Spike: [panting for breath] Argh! What? Did you find it?

Twilight Sparkle: No. Because this isn't King Sombra's castle.

Spike: Well, isn't this where he lived when he was in power?

Twilight Sparkle: It is. But it didn't look like this. [grunting]

Spike: Whoa. When did you learn to do that?

Twilight Sparkle: That was a little trick Celestia taught me.

Spike: [gulps] [nervous noise]

Twilight Sparkle: You stay here.

Spike: Huh, if you insist. [echoing] Can you see what's down there yet?

Twilight Sparkle: [echoing] Not yet. I can't even tell how far down this goes!

[squeaking noise]

[distant clatter]

Twilight Sparkle: Spike?

Spike: [echoing] Yeah?

Twilight Sparkle: [echoing] Can you see outside?

[thunder rumbling]

King Sombra: [growls] Yesss... Crystalsss...

Spike: It's not good! Cadance's magic must be fading [echoing] faster than before!

Twilight Sparkle: Ugh! Ow! [sounds of pain]

Spike: [echoing] Twilight? Are you okay?

Twilight Sparkle: Yes...

[crunching]

Twilight Sparkle: What in the... [thud] Stop... moving! [sounds of exertion]

[door creaking]

Twilight Sparkle: Spike, I think it's here! Huh?

Princess Celestia: What are you doing here?

Twilight Sparkle: I don't know! I opened the door and–

Princess Celestia: And now you must go.

Twilight Sparkle: Go where?

Princess Celestia: Doesn't matter to me. You failed the test, Twilight!

Twilight Sparkle: I don't understand! The test?

Princess Celestia: Not only will you not move on to the next level of your studies, you won't continue your studies at all!

Twilight Sparkle: I... You didn't say anything about no longer being your student if I failed!

Princess Celestia: Didn't I?

Twilight Sparkle: But... what do I do now?

King Sombra: [laughing]

Twilight Sparkle: [crying]

Spike: [incredibly distant and muffled] Twilight! [closer] Twilight? Twilight! Twiliiiight! [quickly] I know you told me to stay up there, but you were down here for such a long time and you weren't answering and I got worried so I came down here and you were just staring at that wall and... I was calling your name, but I couldn't seem to get your attention, and– What were you looking at? I mean... it's just a wall. ...Ponyville?! Well, how did I get... No! I don't wanna go! Please, Twilight, don't make me!