Chapter 15

Chapter 15:

Ali woke, but did not open her eyes. She could see the light through her eyelids, and thought it all seemed too bright. There were many quiet noises around her. Hushed talking, monitors beeping, and the movement of equipment. She made the smallest of movements, shifting under the light sheet that was over her. "She's awake!" said a faint voice, and several pairs of footsteps moved closer to where Ali lay. "Good morning doll," said a husky voice, and Ali felt a set of cool, metal fingers brush her forehead.

Deeply inhaling the deep, dark aroma she recognized as Bucky's, Ali opened her eyes to see the super soldier himself gazing down at her. "Thank god," he said with a sigh of relief, "I thought you would never wake up". Ali blinked, looking around the room.

She was in a hospital room, with medical equipment strewn about. An IV released a fluid into her arm, and she was bandaged in more than one place. Bucky sat in a chair near the head of her bed, and Steve and Sam were standing at the other end. "Multiple flesh wounds, significant lack of oxygen," Steve listed off, "Major blood loss, as well as a buildup of other medical issues from your past, but all in all..." Steve dropped a Manila folder at Ali's feet, "You should be good to go."

Bucky continued to run his fingers through Ali's hair, his good hand gripping hers. "Are you feeling okay?" he asked calmly. Ali looked into his steel blue eyes and nodded. Using Bucky to help pull herself to a sitting position, she felt the full pressure of the wounds all over her body."Steve, I've got press on my tail about this whole situation , tell me what were you thinking?" an unfamiliar voice broke in.

It's owner, a tall woman with a sleek platinum bob strode into the room a moment later. "Ali," said Steve with an exasperated sigh, "meet Agent Natasha Romanov. Natasha, meet Ali Clark." The woman's demeanor changed immediately. She crouched down next to Ali, looking her in the eye, "Call me Nat, I'm happy to meet you. I was supposed to be the backup, but it looks like you handled yourself fine."

"Thank you," said Ali hoarsely. She cleared her throat. "Thank all of you, for helping me. I'm sorry to have put you all in this trouble. You all are amazing." Collectively, the four others shook their heads. "Nah it was nothing," said Sam, but she could tell he was pleased by the compliment. "We did what we had to do," said Steve. "Bucky needed you out of there alive." Ali sent a fleeting look towards Bucky, and his face flushed.

Maybe it was whatever medicine that was pumping into her veins, but Ali felt exceptionally shy at that comment, and lowered her gaze. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Steve and Bucky exchanging looks. "Why don't we leave you two alone for a bit?" said Natasha, ushering Steve and Sam out the door. Ali sent her a grateful look, and Natasha winked, shutting the door behind her.

A sigh came from next to her, and Ali was heartbroken to see Bucky's eyes full of tears next to her. "I'm sorry I hurt you," he said, shaking. Ali shook her head, "Are you kidding?" she thought about her past, about the time she had spent at HYDRA, the life that she would be leaving behind. "You saved me."

Without thinking, and before she could stop herself, Ali pulled Bucky's face to her own, and kissed him. Though surprised, Bucky eased into the kiss, tipping up Ali's chin with his hand. After a few long moments, he pulled away, searching her eyes for any signs. Ali could feel the medicine taking control of her body.

"I love you, James Bucky Barnes." Ali said, and was surprised to feel that she actually meant it. "I love you too, Alexandra Marie Clark", he replied. She felt herself slipping away, "Don't leave me," she said faintly, laying back into the bed. Bucky gave a low chuckle. "No one or nothing in this world could stop me." With this thought fresh in her mind, Ali's eyelids started to flutter shut. The last thing she remembered before she sank into a dark, empty slumber were the stone blue eyes of the first person Ali had truly loved.