𝟎𝟎𝟗 - 𝐚𝐦𝐮𝐬𝐞 𝐦𝐞

Next chapter at 150 votes. Press the star button to vote!

EVERYTHING is dark.

"I did it to protect you." He says. She widens her eyes, tries to focus on the shape that swarms before her. It dances in an odd sort of blur, comes together in the form of him. Maintaining her focus is a quest in itself so she hardens her gaze on his glasses. She stares at its outlines until it looks like vast material.

"You can't just do something like this." She whispers, head clouded with the sight of him and thoughts of resentment.

His hand slides under the nape of her neck and she hears him click his tongue. He lifts her head just a little, high enough to make spots dance around him and the room.

"If I didn't do it, you'd never have told me."

She squints her eyes, pinches the bridge of her nose. "Of course I wouldn't have."

It was a stupid thing of him to think. She'd never have told him anything. It wasn't personal, it was a silent promise she'd made to Finnigan. He tested her and if she – like she did now, even though unwillingly – had told anyone, she'd be seen as untrustworthy. The Death Eater that breaks promises and lies to everyone's face. She wouldn't have changed and it would give him a pleasure she was not willing to grant him.

"Why not?"

Wasn't it obvious?

She shakes her head. "You don't understand what it is like, Harry."

"So you say." He sounds bitter.

"It's true."

"It's what you always tell me."

She bites the inside of her cheek, tries to remain conscious. "Don't you have better things to spend your time on? Shouldn't you be off — saving lives – or studying for Auror training? Hell, shagging with the other two members of your Twatty Trio?"

He snorts and she can finally make out the shape of his face. "I am flattered that you know where my interests of study lay, but I have to admit that you got that last part awfully wrong."

A smile lingers on the corners of his lips.

"Don't laugh!" She says, the tone of her voice steadying. "Why would you, out of all people waste your time with someone like me?"

He shrugs. "I wouldn't know. The War has made me dark and twisty. A bit like you." His smile drops and she wonders if he's rethinking it all now. Her. He should. "I also like the way you moan." And that smile creeps up his face again. She rolls her eyes and he fires out an addictive laugh. "Oh stop it," She says, a grin tugging at her lips now too. "You are absolutely not funny."

"Your expression betrays yourself, Jade." He laughs and she lightly thumps his shoulder. It only provokes him more, as his laugh grows more fervent. Like it comes from deep within him. It's a horrible sound. She's astounded by it. Someone this beautiful—a War Hero—laughing like an untamed animal. It is not attractive but the mere sound of it makes her giggle. He lets go of her to cross his arms over his chest, catching his breath.

"My, my, Harry. When's the last time you've had a laugh? You look close to dying because of it." She jeers, putting her head down on the floor. He tries to shoot her a grim expression. She furrows her eyebrows. He betrays himself again and starts laughing.

"You're a joke." She says.

"You love it."

She shakes her head, looks at him with an unprovoked playfulness in her eyes. "You, Harry Potter, are a lot of things. I'm most miserable to inform you that funny isn't one of them."