act 2 | 01

☆☆
Chapter One
What ifs and Could be

IT took a few solid months for things to settle down

IT took a few solid months for things to settle down. It wasn't easy to start a new way of living, especially for someone like me. All my life I've always been a follower. An agent-assassin programmed to carry out missions given by a superior. Whether it's my own biological father, a mad scientist, or a master assassin. I was never a leader, I have always been a loyal follower.

However, ditching the hero gig was never really an option. I guess when you get a taste of the glory of saving the world, you end up craving it every time an opportunity presents itself to you.

It didn't take long for Tony Stark to contact me and ask me to work for him. I, much to my own surprise, politely turned his offer down. From the time I spent running around with Steve and Nat, I learned that I didn't really have to be a part of anything in order to do something.

But of course I did tell Tony that he could always reach out to me if ever needed a helping hand.

One thing that I do enjoy from the outcomes of what had happened was I now get to spend some time for myself. God knows how much I need the time to actually rest.

And well, time to look for him.

James Barnes or Bucky as Steve likes to call him, disappeared like the ghost that he is. However, a few months after the events of taking down SHIELD and HYDRA, a series of letters started appearing outside of my apartment. Letters that James apparently left for me.

The letters were mostly about his journey in finding the information he needs to figure out who he actually is. The steps and actions he decided to take in order to regain the memories that were taken away from him.

Steve, Sam, and I tried to trace him by using the letters he sent. We thought that if we look for any pattern of action from what he stated in his letter, we might end up running into him. But of course we're not as lucky as we hope we are.

James is always one step ahead of us.

Hell, even the cameras I setted up outside of my apartment, to catch a glimpse of him, were taken down. He made sure to never leave any clue for us to follow.

The Winter Soldier was gone. James Barnes was missing.

And from what I know, it's nearly impossible to search for someone who doesn't want to be found.

–—

"Do you think he already went here and saw all of these?" Steve said, walking beside me as our eyes danced around the different displays showcasing the life of Captain America and the howling commandos.

The two of us are currently at the Smithsonian Museum. Steve offered to take me here when I made a comment a few days ago about wanting to know about his past life, when he and I were basically a part of two different sides who were fighting each other.