"Let's check on the little one now shall we?" She asks gently.

Tom helps me lay back on the bed so she can have better access. As she casts the spell, her eyes widen and for a moment I fear the worst, but then she smiles widely, and relief spreads through me.

"It's begun to heal. It looks like as long as you take it easy for the next few weeks or so, you'll have nothing to worry about. We'll still monitor for possible birth defects the damage may have caused, but for now, we can just be happy that it should live."

Next thing I know I'm a sobbing mess in Tom's arms, who is just as happy as I am judging by the tears running down his own cheeks. Who knew you could love someone so quickly when you can't even see them?

--- End Flashback---

---

I rest a hand on my flat stomach and reach out my magic to feel the small amount of magic emanating from the child inside of me. I couldn't believe what I was feeling the first time Tom showed me how to do that, but now it is a common thing for me to do, and it ensures me that it is still alive.

"You know you're adorable when you do that right?" He asks me.

I look up to him to see the breathtaking smile that he only gives me. The one that leaves no doubt in my mind that this man loves me.

"Do what?"

"When you feel for the baby and get that adorable little grin on your face every time."

I blush heavily, not having realized I was doing that. Of course he notices my embarrassment and starts laughing.

And just like that, a well of emotions well up inside of me.

I almost didn't have this. If I hadn't gotten out from under Dumbledore's thumb, I wouldn't be sitting here in bed, pregnant, as Tom laughs his beautiful laugh. I would have continued on that path, doing anything Dumbledore asked of me, eventually killing my soulmate, marrying Ginny Weasley as she dosed me with enough love potions to keep me a good little dog. Then they would have killed me and taken everything.

But the fact of the matter is that those things didn't happen, and I am here, and pregnant. I'm going to have a baby, and get married to Tom, and we are going to be a family. Dad is going to spoil the baby rotten, I can see it already. This may not have been how we planned things, but nothing in life really goes according to plan, and I don't know if I can possibly be happier than I am in this moment.

"Hadrian? Hadrian what's wrong?" Tom asks worriedly, moving my tray to sit next to me as he reaches out to wipe my face which I now realize is wet with tears.

Instead of responding, I wrap my arms around him and tell him thank you over and over again. Bewildered as he is, he holds me closer and rubs my back.

"Now that you've calmed down a bit, would you like to tell me what that was about?" He eventually asks.

"Sorry, I- I was just thinking how lucky I am. If you hadn't given me a chance back then, we would have both ended up dead. I'd have killed you, married Ginny, and then been killed for my money. We barely avoided it but look where it brought us? I just- I'm so happy now, I can barely imagine going back to before. Thank you. "

"You're right, but then I have to thank you too. In fact, I'd like to show you something."

He pulls out his wand and points it away from us, taking a deep breath and smiling.

"Expecto Patronum."

The silvery form of a snake bursts from the tip of his wand, moving to curl around me protectively. The warmth radiating off of it has me relaxing further in its coils.