[7]

THIS CHAPTER CONTAINS HOMOPHOBIC SLURS

••••••••••••

I biked home without Max.

I need to think. I've only known her for two days. There's no way I could like her. Not that I like her, or anything! But why am I having these thoughts? Why do I think she's so pretty and why do I want to be her friend so bad and why am I really really jealous of Lucas? It doesn't make sense. I pedal faster and faster, turning my bike onto the road I live on. I don't stop pedaling until I'm on my driveway, throwing my bike carelessly on the ground, and running inside.

I step inside an empty house. At least that's good. Hopefully my dad is actually at work today. I kick off my shoes and throw my backpack on the ground next to them, ignoring the homework that I know is waiting inside for me. I sigh before picking up the phone. I dial the familiar numbers, and wait while it rings. I'm calling the only person I know would understand.

"Marsh residence, how may I help you?" the voice of Beverly says at the other end of the line. I smile at the familiar tone.

"Hi, Bev. I'm sorry for calling so unexpected but I need to tal-"

"Oh my gosh! Alex? Is that you? Alex oh my gosh, Hi! Oh, I'm sorry, I cut you off" Bev squeals

I giggle a little "Hey Bev. It's okay. I miss you, so much. I just, I really need to talk to you. Do you mind using the phone in your room?" Beverly wouldn't have a phone in her room usually, but since she moved in with her aunt, she has one in her room. We were all amazed when she got it.

"Oh, yeah! One second" Beverly says. She hangs up the phone and I'm left with a lonely ringing sound at the end of the line.

I hang the phone back up on the kitchen wall before it begins to ring. I pick it up before beginning to speak "Okay Beverly, here's the thing. I just, I don't know. I met this person, and they're really great! But liking them just feels, I don't know, wrong?"

"Holy shit T-rex! You met a girl!" I hear Richie scream at the end of the line. Shit! Alex you're so dumb.

"Richie, jesus christ! I was talking to Bever- Wait. What do you mean, I met a girl?" I question. I never told Richie that I might like girls. I've never told anyone. Except Beverly. Obviously I didn't tell Mike. Mike was just one of those things that I thought would cover up the fact that I MIGHT like girls. I thought it would fix me. It didn't.

"Cmon' Alex! From one gay to another, it's so obvious. I mean you were always staring at Bev while we swam at the quarry. Damn, Alex you even watched Greta while she pulled her hair up in class!"

I cringe a little "Richie, I swear to god shut the fuck up."

"Jesus christ, someone's in a bad mood today! Pip, pip! Cheer up! " Richie announces in his stupid british accent.

"Richie. I cant do this right now. Can I just hang up the phone?" Now Richie knows. Richie has a big mouth. He'll tell everyone. I'll be the town lesbian.

"Alright cheerio, professor!" Richie screeches before hanging up. The ringing at the end of the line can't compare to the pounding in my head. Richie knows. Beverly knows. Hell, even my own father knows. He's ashamed. He's ashamed. He hates me. He hate-

My thoughts are cut short by the ringing of the kitchen phone, yet again. I gulp before picking it up "Kinney residence"

"Alex! I've been trying to get ahold of you for like five minutes! What took you so long?" Beverly yells quietly into the phone.

"Trashmouth happened" I breath out.

"Oh my god. What did Richie do? Do I need to beat someone's ass?" I giggle a little, then sigh.

"Listen. I just wanted to talk to you about something. I-I met someone. Someone great! But I don't know. A part of me feels wrong for finding them so great?" I manage to sputter out.

"Hmm. Well, could you explain to me why it feels so wrong? It's alright if not" Bev says in a knowing tone. God she knows everything.

"Um..well, I'd rather not. At least not today" I can practically hear Beverly nod her head.

"Of course, of course. Well, I think that whoever this person is, they would think you're really great too. Like really great" Beverly speaks in a calm tone "The losers and I have always found you great. So I don't know why this person wouldn't!"

I smile a little "Thanks, Bev. I just don't know if she-I mean, this person would even think about liking me. Not that I like Ma- I mean this person! Not at all!"

Beverly giggles a little "Okay. Well whether you like ma-this person, or not" she stops to laugh "I think they'd think you're really great."

"Thank you, Beverly" I hear the sudden sound of a car door slamming and realize my dad must be home from work "Okay Beverly, I've got to go, but thank you. Really, thank you!"

"No problem" Beverly squeaks "Anytime. Love you lex"

"Love you too ly" I spit out before hanging up. Beverly and I only called each other those names when we were being sincere.

I rush to my room just before I hear the door creak open and my dads giant boots stomp inside the house. I scramble onto my bed, and grab a magazine to make it look like I'm actually doing something.

"Alex? Are you home?" My dad calls from across the house.

"Yeah, dad. In my room" I call back. I hear his boots squeaking down the hallway until he's in my doorframe.

"Hey kiddo" he says, taking a look around "hey, I thought I told you I wanted you to unpack. This is our house, Alex" Shit. I completely forgot.

"Right! Right! I just have a lot of homework, and haven't gotten to it. I will! I will!" I give him a guilty smile before turning my eyes to stare at a page in my magazine. Ralph Macchio stares back at me. I'm sorry, but I don't get what girls see in him.

"Your homework is reading up on the karate kid?" My dad questions in a stern voice.

I gulp a little "Yeah! Uh, ya know, physics? How he kicks up and out and up and out! Yeah!"

My dad rolls his eyes "You need to unpack" he demands before stomping away. I hear the refrigerator open, and a beer being pulled out of it. The sound of the TV fills the house and I can finally breathe. I shut my door and fall down onto my bed. Ugh. He's so..annoying? I don't think that's the word.

I find my mind wandering to Max for what feels like the eleventh time today. Ugh. I have to stop thinking about her. I have to.

Think about something else. Hmm. What else?

Stars! Think about stars. Stars Stars Stars. Stars. Wait no. Stars make me think about Max's freckles and how they surround her face like a galaxy, and how her eyes are like the sun, brighting up everything they come into- STOP!

Fuck. What am I supposed to do??

••••••••
sorry this chapter was kinda boring, but i hoped you liked it😩