Legos

This first drabble is from @Snowisawesome and their prompt is: Everest has a secret talent. I actually really liked writing this one, in fact, I found it so fun to brainstorm for that I made two different drabbles for it... This is the first one, the second one will be in the next part so that it's easy to differentiate between the two. Enjoy!

When she was little, Everest was incredibly hard to buy gifts for (she still is, but less so than when she was little). One Christmas when she was eight, her mom and Luke couldn't think of anything to get her since her special interest had changed right before the holidays and the Karters couldn't think of anything either. So they bought her a few LEGO sets, not big tubs of Legos, but ones that created set things. One was a castle, one was a spaceship, and the other was a train.

Everest loved them. It took five minutes to convince her to wait to build them so that they could finish opening presents and eat. Once she was allowed to build them, she didn't stop until she was done. Clary made the mistake of interrupting her while she was putting together the train and Everest had lashed out. She had shouted and ran furiously to her mom's room (it was where the girls could go if they wanted alone time since they had shared a room at the time) with the Legos. She had stayed in her mom's room for the rest of the day, not noticing as her mom and Luke checked on her or when dinner was finished. It took Luke setting a hand on her shoulder for her to notice him; it had been six hours.

From that day on, it wasn't uncommon for Everest to get LEGO sets as presents, in fact it was odd for her to not get any. Eventually, once Everest began to make her own money and was able to able buy things on her own, she bought LEGO sets for herself often. Recently, she had gotten herself a late birthday gift (never mind the fact that she hated her birthday and it was months after it, it was just her excuse) of a Hogwarts Castle and grounds LEGO set. It had been delivered to the Karter's house since the Institute wasn't exactly accessible to the mundane delivery truck drivers and Everest had picked it up that morning. Alec was on a mission with Jace and Izzy, Clary was with Simon, and Magnus was spending the day with Caterina, which meant that Everest had the apartment to herself to build her absurdly large LEGO set. She didn't quite know where she was going to put it yet, but she'd figure it out later.

My lover's got humor 

She's the giggle at a funeral

Knows everybody's disapproval

I should've worshiped her sooner

If the Heavens ever did speak

She's the last true mouthpiece

Every Sunday's getting more bleak

A fresh poison each week

"We were born sick", you heard them say it

My church offers no absolutes

She tells me, "Worship in the bedroom"

The only Heaven I'll be sent to

Is when I'm alone with you

I was born sick, but I love it

Command me to be well

A-, Amen, Amen, Amen