Chapter 9 - Maxon

Start from the beginning

"What kind of shit are they playing?! Who picked this music?" Vanessa demands.

Ever since I introduced Vanessa to the reggaeton genre, it's the only one that gets her moving, much like me. Our love for music is one of the most important bonds we share. For us, it's more than just a way to unwind but a way of healing.

"What's that type of music you always put on?" She snaps her fingers, trying to figure out the name.

"Reggaeton." I supply, for the millionth time.

She snaps her fingers one last time before pointing at me. "That! Exactly! Regay-ton."

"It's not regayton it's reggaeton." My Spanish accent comes through.

"Whatever. I'm going to go tell the DJ to play baby Yankee. Don't move from here." She gives me a pointed look before sashaying off.

"It's Daddy Yankee!"

That girl, I shake my head. Sometimes I wonder why I'm friends with her.

I glance around at the dancing bodies, Derek is nowhere to be found. I half expected him to follow after us. With the way he was gazing at Vanessa, it's clear that he still loves her.

I continue scanning through the faces, not recognizing anyone until they land on a familiar face.

Maxon is lounging with the guys at a table straight across from me. I take in his surroundings. Luke is sitting next to him looking like he's thoroughly enjoying himself in the company of the three women draped all over him. I glance at the men next to him and find them with women as well. All except for Maxon.

He instead is staring right at me.

My heart speeds up as our gazes lock.

In the background, I hear the music change tempos but everything seizes to exist as neither he nor I look away.

I've never experienced anything like this.

As if something is pulling him and me together but...that's crazy. I don't even know him.

But you want to get to know him, a small barely decipherable voice whispers to me.

Do I? I question myself.

That's even crazier. Why am I even considering this? Just because he's been friendly to me and is not currently with a woman on his lap doesn't make him different.

That's a sad thought but it's true.

All men are the same.

And besides, it's just a matter of time before his lover shows up. Because I'm sure she—or he—will—

A busty woman stands behind Maxon and I watch as she covers his eyes and leans down to whisper something in his ear, causing our connection to break.

My heart drops, whispering lover. That's his lover.

See? I knew it.

It was just a matter of time. I don't even know why I would consider that he's different. Clearly, he's not but it doesn't matter. I'm only here for a week so I'm not going to dwell on something that doesn't mean anything.

I ignore the small twang of disappointment and focus on more important things like where Vanessa is.

I move amongst the throngs of people. She should've been back by now. The DJ already changed the music so where could she be?

I'm walking past a group of guys when a hand on my shoulder stops me.

For some stupid reason, I think it's Maxon but as I follow the hand, I see it leads up to a handsome dark-skinned male. He's grinning down at me with perfect white teeth.