49. 'It's three in the morning.'

You couldn't sleep. Not only was it too hot, but Max wasn't beside you like he should be. The curtains were lightly blown by the soft breeze that was creeping through the window but nothing was cooling you down. You tossed and turned before finally finding a spot that was comfy enough to get some sleep before the morning. Just as you felt your eyelids become heavier you heard a tap on the door. You groaned, turning over thinking one of your bridesmaids carried on the party before you went to your room. The tapping continued as you rolled out of bed to see who needed you at this hour.

"What!" You whispered before slamming the door shut once you saw who was on the other side.

"Let me in baby, before your mum catches me." Max whispered from the other side. Your mum had been keeping the two of you apart all day. 'It's bad luck!' She'd say every time Max tried to bargain with her to let him see you.

You opened the door quickly, turning around so your back was towards him. This counts as not seeing each other, right?

"Max, it's three in the morning, I was just getting comfy." You groaned once again. You felt quite silly standing in the middle of the room not facing Max. You heard him fumble for the light switch, the bright lights hurting your eyes for a split second before they adjusted.

"Just getting comfy at 3am? Couldn't sleep?" He asked, his voice soft. Rasp apparent as you felt his arms slink through yours, hugging you from behind. You squeeze your eyes closed still not wanting to see him.

"No, I'm hot and I'm nervous." Max chuckled as he lightly kissed your cheek. "Don't be nervous." He whispered.

You left his grip to navigate the bed, arms flailing everywhere.

"Just open your eyes baby." Max said, giggling again as he watched you prance around the room.

"It's bad luck!" You exclaimed. You never were one for superstitious nor traditions, but you'd just spent the entire day with your mother, the woman that wouldn't walk over three drains in fear her life would be in danger.

"What's going to go wrong, hm?" Max asked, you felt his hands on your arms as he guided you to the bed. You sat down and felt him sit next to you.

"I'm looking at you right now and all I see is the woman I love, despite the fact she looks hilarious." Max couldn't stop his little laughs while looking at you. When he tapped on your door he didn't expect to see you refuse to look at him.

"I don't want to jinx anything. Tomorrow has to be perfect" You whispered.

"Look at who your marrying, how much more perfect could you get?" Max teased as he nudged your shoulder. You let out a laugh and thought what's the worst that could happen? You opened your eyes to see max in a white t shirt and his boxer shorts, hair messy and ruffled while his eyes looked tired.

"You crept across the hotel.. in your boxers?" You laughed, Max shrugged his shoulders.

"I just wanted to see you before tomorrow." He softly said. You put your hand on his cheek as you looked into his eyes.

"Are you nervous?" You asked. You know you were. You were scared he'd change his mind. You were scared he'd realise he can do better. You were scared he'd realise he could have any girl in the world, he might regret choosing you.

"I am." He nodded. "I just don't want you to change your mind about me." He said, looking back at you with a frown. You let out a laugh, you were both thinking and feeling the same thing about one another.

"I could never change how I feel about you Max, you know that." Max shrugged again as he looks down at his hands.

"I love you so much Y/n, so much. I could never be without you and being in that hotel room alone tonight, I don't know. It freaked me out. What if you were thinking you could do better than someone that country hops most of the year leaving you alone." Max didn't look at you, scared of the answer. He was an over thinker, he gets an idea in his head and runs with it which can give him the best ideas but also the worst.

"Don't be stupid. You know I'll fly to be with you at every race I possibly can be. When you proposed to me I said yes didn't I? And I'll be right there with you tomorrow saying I do. I'll be by your side forever Max, when are you going to realise that you're not getting rid of me?" You joked but also meaning every word.

Max look up at you, placing a soft kiss to your lips, resting his forehead against yours as he looked into your eyes.

"I can't wait to make you mine. Forever." He whispered.

"Forever."

You both laid down and got under the covers, Max in your arms as your fingers ran through his hair, while he traced small shapes on your arms. It didn't take long for either for you to fall asleep. The nerves drifting away as you fell into a slumber next to the man you loved.

Your harsh alarm woke you up only a few hours after max waking you. The difference now being that Max had already slipped away from beside you. You turned off your alarm and saw a note on the pillow beside you.

'My beautiful girlfriend,

I can't wait to call you my wife in just a few hours. Thank you for calming my nerves like you always do. I know you're going to look so beautiful as you stand opposite me in front of everyone we love. You make me feel like the luckiest man in the world. I love you! - your Max.

P.s. I'm also scared of your mum finding out we saw each other.'

You giggled at the last part, not knowing if he was joking or being dead serious. You bit your lip as reality started to hit. Today's the day you marry your best friend. Mrs Verstappen has a nice ring to it.