━ eight : my family keeps on fighting

THE OTHER BLACK
chapter eight
.   .   .   .

CORDELIA BLACK,
SEVENTH YEAR
.   .   .   .

𝙃ere's the thing; Cordelia was sure she didn't kill Ted Tonks. Truth is, she didn't want him dead, not really, maybe get him expelled, but she didn't really want to kill the bloody prick. She may be cruel and heartless, but not like that. She may want to be like Bellatrix, ruthless, careless, cruel, heartless, but she didn't want to loose herself in the process. But Andromeda, and Narcissa now, was certain that she killed Tonks. Cordelia had last spoke to her when she had come up to her, and that was nearly a month back. Andromeda was her twin sister, she missed talking to her, she missed doing things with her. At least she had Snape by her side, she's come to love the little blob, probably in a way she shouldn't considering that he is twelve now after all and she's seventeen. Cordelia was happy that he didn't leave her side, no matter what. It warmed whatever she had left of a heart.

Cordelia was just exiting her last class for the day, which had been Potions and she tiriedly made her way to the Slytherin table to get lunch, where she sat next to Snape and Lestrange next to her. Firstly, did Cordelia know why Rabastan Lestrange decided to sit next to her? Of course not. This however, fueled Andy's suspicions that they all murdered Tonks.

"Long day?" Snape asked, piling food unto his plate and he saw Cordelia sigh, burying her head on her arms and he pursed his lips. Long day it was then. "Here, eat a little."

Cordelia raised her head, brow raised as well. "Last I checked Snape, I'm teaching you to get tougher, not to take care of me."

"Well someone has to, since you're not." Snape shrugged, a smile on his lips and Cordelia found herself smiling back, already digging into the food Snape dished for her.

"Have you heard from Bellatrix lately?" Rabastan suddenly asked and Cordelia's blood ran cold. She has. She kept the letter under her bed, hoping to forget about it. See, the thing is, Cordelia might want to be just like her older sister, but she wasn't entirely sure she wanted to join the Dark Lord. Voldemort was the heartless one but then again, Cordelia thought, he might be the only one to accept her as she truly is. Andromeda and Narcissa have shunned her out of their lives and even though it hurt, like hell, Cordelia only pretended it didn't.

However, Cordelia found herself shaking her head. "No, I haven't."
And she took a bit of her food, hoping Rabastan won't ask anymore questions. Cordelia will be lying if she said she didn't find Rabastan Lestrange attractive, she did, who wouldn't find him attractive?

"Uh, Cordelia, I ━ um ━ was wondering if you could help me with my Transfiguration homework later on?" Snape played with his food as he said this, and Cordelia decided to ignore his red cheeks.

"Sure thing Sev." Cordelia hummed, a smile on her face and she saw Snape smile back. She started calling him Sev after... Well she doesn't really remember when she started calling him Sev or why she started calling him that. He didn't provide any explanation about it but Cordelia trusted him enough not to question him.

"Before you help him, can I have a word with you Cordelia? It's quite urgent." Rabastan asked and Cordelia furrowed her brow in confusion, but nodded, pulling her robes closer.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

𝘾ordelia raised a brow at Rabastan, as he bit his bottom lip and she saw him sigh. Is this about Bellatrix's letter? Cordelia admits that she didn't read the entire thing, she got freaked out when she saw the Dark Lord's name and didn't dare to read it further.

"Rodolphus wrote to me as well." He sighed again.

"Listen, I didn't read Bella's letter." Cordelia admitted. "So I don't know what you're on about. Also, can you hurry up? I need to help Sev."

Rabastan pursed his lips. "They want us to get married." Cordelia blinked. He must be lying. But that would explain why he was sitting with her all of a sudden. "Your mother and father approve of it."

Cordelia shook her head. She found Rabastan very attractive but that didn't mean she wants to marry the guy. "No, no." She whispered, shaking her head again. "What about what I want? What about the person I actually love?"

"You're a pureblood Cordelia, what did you expect? Did you think you can actually escape from this lifestyle?" Rabastan shook his head this time. "You think I want this too? Knowing that Nott actually loves you and I have to marry you while he's my best mate?"

"Then don't!" Cordelia cried out. "I'm in love with another, and I'll never be able to love you or Nott." She huffed out, daring herself not to cry. She can't cry, she won't cry. Bella never cried. Why should she?

"It's Snape, isn't it?" Rabastan raised a brow and Cordelia blushed. Was it that obvious? At first, Cordelia tried to deny the fact that she actually had a crush on Severus. But as days went on, it grew stronger and she had no choice but to acknowledge it.

"Leave him out of this Rabastan." Cordelia hissed. "He's only a child, he knows nothing."

Rabastan's face distorted. "You disgust me, you know that? He's only twelve and you're seventeen."

"Then don't marry me! I disgust you after all!" Cordelia could feel herself get angry and without even realizing it, Snape's words came back to her and she calmed down. He always told her to calm down after all, he didn't want her angry. She doesn't know why but she trusts him enough not to ask.

"I have to! If I want to keep my dignity and last name!"

"That's it?! You're doing it for yourself?! I should've known." Cordelia growled at him, eyes flashing red for a split second. "Now excuse me, I need to go to Sev."

"I'm not only doing this for me Cordelia! You'll be killed!" Rabastan yelled after her but Cordelia just marched on, heading towards the Slytherin common room, where she knew that Snape was waiting for her.

Before she could enter however, she hound Narcissa outside the common room, mascara running down her cheeks in ugly streaks and it didn't suite her at all. Cordelia immediately thought something was wrong. Either with the Malfoy idiot, or Andromeda.

"It's Andy, Lia." Narcissa sobbed, reaching out to her but Cordelia side stepped her. Andromeda didn't want to see her, why should Cordelia worry about her? But when she only stormed past Narcissa, she felt something sit at the pit of her stomach and when she finally found Snape, she collapsed beside him.

Cordelia never cried. She bottled all her emotions and shoved them as deep as possible and forgot about them, but that day, as she cried into Snape's arms, she felt lighter in a way to finally let go of all the things that were hurting her. It felt good to be human for once, to only be Cordelia and not a Black.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

an. you know it, I know it, Cordy knows it, Sevvy knows it, they're gonna bang when he's older lol