I. The Search For Luke Skywalker

Six months later...

Chapter One
Jena

"I've been meaning to ask how you've been holding up," Jax Barrett begins from his speeder, his gaze growing melancholic. "I'm sorry I haven't come to visit—"

"Don't worry about it, Jax," I assure him with a small smile. "You've been very busy. We all have."

Jax lets out a long breath through his nose, returning his gaze to the long stretch of sand before us. "After all these years of peace...it's hard to believe we're entering another war."

Six months ago, my cousin turned to the dark side and slaughtered all the Jedi who had been training with us at the Taris Jedi temple. Uncle Jay thinks that he was seduced to the dark side by the Emperor of the Empire, a man everyone has long thought dead; stabbed by my grandfather Anakin Skywalker as a last act of heroism. But my uncle and other members of my family think he survived and has been rebuilding the Empire under a new name; the First Order.

My family has been rebuilding the old Rebel Alliance as well as trying to convince the senate of the imminent threat on our galaxy's safety. Most in the senate don't want to listen though; they're tired of war and don't want to be a part of another.

But if the Emperor is really still alive, then we won't have much of a choice.

"This holocron Jay is sending you after...can it really find Luke?" Jax now asks.

If we are to face the Emperor and his First Order, we need my father back. Ever since Ben turned he's been missing; we've scoured every inch of the galaxy and we've found no sight or word of him. Uncle Jay suggested Myra and I, the only survivors of Ben's attack on the temple, go to Lothal's Jedi temple and find the Jedi holocron. He was told by his father that it can be used to find anyone force sensitive in the galaxy, and for all our sakes I hope that's true.

I share a look with Myra beside me, then give him a helpless shrug. "We hope so."

Jax nods, not looking very convinced. "Sometimes hope is all we have."

When we finally reach the temple, we go to the south entrance just as Uncle Jay instructed, parking our speeders a few feet away.

"I'll watch the speeders, you two shout if you need anything." Jax says with a smile.

Myra and I both nod in thanks, then we turn our attention back to the temple. We place our hands on the rocky surface and, just as Uncle Jay instructed, we reach out with the force, willing the temple to reveal itself to us and aid us in our time of need.

With a loud groan, a tunnel opens up in the temple, leading us into the depths of the mountain where hopefully our holocron awaits. Myra and I both ignite our lightsabers—mine blue and theirs purple—and head down the temple, our blades being our only source of light.

"Where exactly will we find the holocron?" Myra asks.

"Uncle Jay said there are only four pathways in the temple, so it shouldn't take that long to find it."

"I hope not. Being inside a Jedi temple isn't as fun as it used to be."

I pause for a moment before asking them, "Do you dream of it? Of the fire? Of the smoke?"