"Contract. To kill that… Nundu." The guardian said, obviously not wanting to talk about it. "It's killed three already. All kids." 
Neville looked away, feeling the familiar grief of a life lost before its time. "Sorry. Let's talk about something else besides maneaters." 

"Thank you." The Guardian smiled. "Why are you out here? I sensed traces of magic on that plant over there." He pointed at the newly discovered herb Neville had been studying.

"It's a species Europe hasn't seen before. I'm researching its properties for use in potions. Do you study herbology?" Neville asked. 

The guardian nodded, somehow eating his food without removing his mask. "I wasn't very good at it when I was young but it's necessary for potions and medicines." 

"I always liked it. I used to help Professor Sprout during my free periods." 

"I remember her. She was kind." The guardian offered. 

"You've been to Hogwarts?" Neville asked.

"1994. The Kidemonas were contracted to provide security for the triwizard tournament. I haven't been back since. You're the first wizard I've seen in decades." 

"I was a fourth year. I haven't seen a Guardian since then." 

There was silence for a bit before Neville mustered the courage to speak. "I guess the rumors that you don't age are true then. You don't look any older than my grandson, Harry." 

The guardian stilled for a moment. "You have grandchildren?" He said, relaxing. 

Neville grinned. "Six. Harry, the youngest, is staying with us until he graduates. He's at Hogwarts right now." 

The guardian seemed to want to ask something, but chose a different question. 

"Is Dumbledore still in charge?" 

Neville accepted the change in subject. "No. He got removed as headmaster in my sixth year. It was a pretty big scandal. He died when I was 30 I think. He kind of fell off the map." 

"I see."

"All I really remember was him saying that you-know-who had returned, but he never did so Dumbledore kinda fell from grace." 

"How unfortunate." The Guardian mused. "We had several encounters with Dumbledore's minions in the years following the Tournament, but they just stopped out of nowhere. One of the Guardians was so disappointed, especially since he had run out of death eaters to kill a few months earlier. He turned into a dog and sulked for three days." 

Neville wisely didn't say anything to that, but noted that the Guard had fought death eaters. Had it been before he had been born, or had Dumbledore been right and the Guard just handled it discreetly. 

Neville decided that for once, he could let this mystery slide.  

"Come on, I'll take first watch." 

"Where is the rest of your squad?" 

"Here and there." The guardian offered. "They know where I am, but as long as you are here, they will not show themselves. They have to find the cubs anyways." He looked at Neville, who was starting to feel a bit ill. "Are you okay?" 

Everything went kinda blurry and the older man slumped in his seat. 

"Schist. Hold on Neville. You're gonna be fine." He pulled up Neville's shirt to see green stripes, remnants of the poison. 

"Schist. Forgot about that immunity thing." 

The guardian swore violently and waved his gloved hand over the wizard's face. Then, everything went dark. 

When Neville woke up he was in a hut in the village he had stayed at before entering the jungle. 

"Wizard." The shaman said when she noticed he was awake. 

"How did I-where did he go?" 

"The Umlondondolozi brought you here two days ago, sick with fever." The shaman said. "We healed you as he asked." 

"Where is he?" 
"Gone. He did as we requested and returned to his lord with the others." 

Neville sighed. "I had hoped to thank him." 

"He left you this." 

Neville reached out and accepted the paper satchel. 

Inside were words in a familiar handwriting. Best of luck, Neville. For next time a… Nundu… poisions you. Don't tell anyone where you got these.

Inside were five seeds of a type Neville had never seen before. 

"Harry, wherever you are, I hope you find happiness."