Chapter 13: Bloody night

Start from the beginning

"I'll go check on Young Master." Louisa then followed suit and went in the direction where Ciel's room is located.

"Then I'll be checking on His Highness." Clara said before going to where Light stays.

Mariel paid no mind and just focused on getting to her lady's room much quicker. She was told first thing when she was appointed as Avy's maid that she can't use the family's magic for some reason, hence she's completely fragile and helpless when it comes to physical combats. That is why Mariel was tested if she could protect and defend her mistress in case they come across assassinations and dangerous situations.

'Forgive me, My mistress. I failed you.' she was already on the verge of tears but forced herself to stay composed and focused on the thing at hand.

She arrived in front of Avy's door and Raux was already standing there. But it seems like he was rooted on the spot that he couldn't move. Glancing inside the room with her heart beating so fast, silently wishing that her Miss is safe, the scene that she witnessed before her eyes left her speechless.

She was also unable to move.

~~~

"Who sent you?" Ciel asked fiercely, coldly looking down at the man kneeling in front of him as the tip of his sword was pointed at his neck.

"As expected. The youngest Arkwright is as talented as the rumors stated." the man's mask was already ripped off earlier and his mischievous smile couldn't be hidden.

"Shame. I was expecting names." Ciel pressed on his skin causing blood to trickle down from his blade, but the assassin didn't move an inch nor did he show any signs of fear.

"I wonder if your sister can defend herself just the same." the man grabbed Ciel's blade with his hands, displaying such a wicked grin. "Or if she was stabbed lifeless before could even open her eyes."

Ciel's eyes widened when he finally understood what he meant, but before he could react, the man cut his own neck with the sword that the youngest Arkwright used to make him speak.

The youngest of the house's blood ran cold, he didn't waste any more time on the useless corpse of the assassin and was about to run to the door when it suddenly opened, followed by someone's voice.

"Young Master?!" Louisa, a maid was panting while standing in the doorway.

"Where's my sister?!" instead of the dead man's body that was lying in front of her Young Master, it was the voice of the latter that made Louisa flinch in surprise. Of course, such a petty excuse for an assassin could only scratch the Empire's Prodigy Swordsman at the least.

"S-sir Raux went to the Lady's chambers–" she wasn't even given the chance to finish her sentence because the young master already went past her, hurrying to her sister. Louisa was not taken aback by his behavior in the slightest, his reaction is pretty much normal for the servants after serving the Duchy for some period of time.

Instead of opening her mouth to explain what's happening, Louisa quietly followed Ciel, expecting that he has already grasped the situation. Although as a maid who moves around and a capable mage whose stamina is no less than average, she still struggled to keep up with the boy's speed. He was literally working his legs to go to his sister's room as soon as possible.

"Arkwright! There you are!" they heard the voice of the second Prince coming from the opposite direction. He was also running fast, his sword in his hand with blood covering the blade, and was obviously attacked by intruders as well.

"Where's sister?" he asked

"She's in her room." Ciel answered without stopping.

"Did you get any information from the assassins?"