Chapter 3𒊹︎Proving them Wrong

Start from the beginning

Benny practiced batting, "Yeah-yeah! Get two!" The boys threw the ball to each other as a quick warm up. Ham gave the ball to Benny who held it and stared at it.

"Smalls! Throw it to second!" Benny shouted.

"Okay!" I heard from across the field.

Benny hit the ball towards smalls.

"He's never gonna catch it Benny!" Ham whined quietly.

Smalls attempted to catch the ball, but he miserably failed and fell on his back.

"Aw, I told you, Benny. We told you!" Ham scoffed.

"Come on, Benny. Why'd you do that?" Kenny whined.

Smalls got the ball and attempted to get in a throwing stance. He gave up and started running towards Kenny.

"What the hell is he doing?" Ham asked.

I was in shock, so was everyone else.

"I don't believe it!" Ham added.

Smalls ran up to Kenny to give him the ball right in his hand. Smalls ran back to his position as if everything was completely normal.

Benny and I made immediate eye contact that said yikes, let's help him and began to jog towards Scotty.

"You know you can throw it, right?" I asked Scotty.

"No. I cant. I don't know how." He admitted.

Benny rolled his eyes and I quietly scoffed to myself.

"Thanks for taking me here, but I think I'd better go." Scotty said attempting to walk past us.

"Hey hey hey! You think too much! I bet you get straight A's and shit, huh?" Benny chuckled. I giggled next to him.

"No, I got a B once. Actually, it was an A- but it should've been a B." He looked down at his feet.

"Man, this is baseball. You've gotta stop thinking. Just...have fun! I mean, if you were having fun, you would've caught that ball." Benny smiled.

There was an awkward pause until I broke it, "You ever had a paper route?"

"I helped a guy once." Smalls spoke.

"Okay...chuck it like you would throw a paper." I did a throwing motion with my arm.

"When your arm gets here. Just let go." Benny added, holding my arm and pushed it until it reached a certain point. I blushed a bit but thankfully he didn't notice.

"How do I catch it?" Smalls asked.

"Just stand there, and stick your glove, put in the air. I'll take care of it." Benny patted his chest.

We both ran back to home base and I leaned against the fence.

"It's about time, Benny. My clothes are going out of style!" Squints complained.

"They already are, Squints." Bertram scoffed.

"Shut up!" Squints hissed.

"I told you Benny." Ham said tossing him a ball.

"Smalls! Throw it to second!" Benny shouted.

"Okay!" Smalls yelled.

This time, Benny spat on the ball, which was a way of asking for good luck. Benny hit the ball towards Smalls. The ball slowly landed into Smalls' glove. He caught it.

"Alright!" I cheered.

"Yeah!" Benny rejoiced.

I laughed cause Squints had to do a quick double take, "he's alright." Squints added.