Chapter 2 𒊹︎ Teammates

Comenzar desde el principio

"Scott Smalls. Call me Scotty or just Smalls if you'd like." He smiled and shook my hand.

I could tell that this kid immediately trusted me. Just then I saw a familiar boy walk up to us. I finally recognized him. I saw him at that baseball store!

"Hey!" The boy yelled, running towards us. He stopped a few feet in front of us to talk to us. "I'm gonna go play some ball and we need an extra guy. You guys wanna go?" The boy asked.

I opened my mouth to say "Sure!" but Smalls beat me to it.

"Nah, thanks." He looked down.

"Why not? Don't you like baseball?" The boy looked at Smalls.

"Oh yeah! But uh..." "But what?" Smalls hesitated for a second until he finally came up with a response, "But my glove. It's busted."

The boy rolled his eyes and stared at Scotty.

"See, uh...I can't go. Thanks though." Scotty faked a frown at him.

"It's okay. I got an extra one." The boy reached into his pocket and tossed a glove to Smalls. "Come on! Lets go!" The boy said, motioning his hand to go with him.

Scotty turned towards the door to tell his mom that he was leaving. While he was doing that, the boy finally acknowledged my presence and turned to me.

"Oh! Uh, do you wanna go with us? You can play if you want." He said rubbing the back of his neck. He was hesitant to invite me because I'm a girl, you could tell. Everyone was like that these days.

"Of course. I love baseball." I smiled at him. His smile at my response.

Eventually, Smalls had finished letting his mother know that he would be heading out somwhere.

"Great! Now come on, let's go!" The boy said, jogging down to the road.

"I'm Benjamin Franklin Rodriguez, but just call me Benny." He smiled.

"I'm Sofia Scorfano."

"My name is Scott Smalls."

"Cool, cool. Oh, the team is this way!" Benny point to the back of a drug store. We walked back there and saw a group of boys, ages probably 11-14 sitting together talking.

One of the boys put something in his mouth, then began to speak, "Am thw gwit bumbeno."

"What? Huh?" The rest of the boys questioned.

"Am thw gwit bumbeno!!" He said louder.

"What?" The boys were still confused.

The boy took the item out of his mouth, "I'm the Great Bambino."

"Ohhh!" The boys said in realization.

"Who's that?" Scotty asked in all seriousness.

"Oh hell no." I mumbled to myself putting my face in my palms.

The boys all stood up, glaring at Smalls.

"What? What did he say?" The boy that had the item in his mouth scoffed.

"What? We're you born in a barn, man?" A tall boy with glasses asked.

"Yeah-Yeah, what planet are you from?" A boy with dirty blonde hair asked, looking Scotty up and down with hatred in his eyes.

"You've never heard of the Sultan of Swat?" A short boy with a black cap and glasses asked.

"The titan of terror!" Another boy with a KC hat exclaimed.

"The colossus of Clout?" A boy with blonde, straight hair raised his eyebrow.

"The colossus of Clout!" A smaller boy repeated, he looked like he could be the blonde boy's brother.

"The King of Crash, man." Benny turned to him.

"Come on, the Babe!" I turned to him.

I knew it. This kid has no experience with baseball whatsoever.

"Ha! Even she knows who the babe is, and she is a girl!" The boy with curly head hair exclaimed.

"What about me being a girl?" I asked, getting quite defensive over his comment.

I don't know if it is my father's anger issues that were passed down to me, but I will beat the shit out of anybody if they get on my nerves way too much. I don't care if you're some old crippled lady or if your a feetus, I will kick your ass. Too much? Too much.

(IF YOU KNOW WHERE THAT LINE IS FROM PLEASE MARRY ME)

"Hey hey hey, he was just joking." Benny pulled me back.

I just glared at the boy. He looked a bit worried but tried to hide it.

"Oh...yeah! The Great Bambino. Of course! I thought you said The Great...Bambi." Smalls lied.

"That wimpy deer?" The one with curly red hair asked.

"Yeah, I guess. Sorry." Smalls looked down.

The other boys looked at each other obviously knowing that he lied.

"Anyway...Scott, Sofia, that's Timmy and Tommy Timmons." Benny said pointing to the Small twins. "Mike 'Squints' Palledorous. Alan McClennan, we call him Yeah-Yeah. Bertram Grover Weeks. Kenny DeNunez. And Hamilton Porter, we call him Ham."

As the boys heard their names they spit on the ground. It was a little gross but I've seen things a thousand times worse.

"Guys, this is Scott Smalls and Sofia Scorfano."  Benny added.

"Hi." Smalls awkwardly waved. Squints spat twice on the ground for both of us.

I just stood there crossing my arms, I wasn't mad I just like standing like that. I find it pretty comfortable standing with my arms crossed.

Of course, Ham had to be the one to make a comment about it, "Why are you crossing your arms? Is there a problem?"

"I mean, not unless you want to start a one." I shrugged, sizing Ham up from afar.

Benny cut the tension by speaking once again, "Well um, yeah. They're gonna play with us cause they make 9 so now we got a whole team plus 1. Now come on, we're wasting time. Let's go to the sandlot!" The boy turned and began heading to what I was assuming was their baseball field.

"Benny it's 9 in the morning!" One of the boys groaned. Still, they followed after him, bumping into each other.

I just followed behind them cause I wasn't trying to talk to any of them except for Benny and Smalls, the rest were dickheads.

It wasn't a long walk, surprisingly. It was only about 5 minutes. I realized that I had seen this place before, I drove past it on the way to Wendy's house.

A/N: Woo! Another chapter done! I hope you liked it! It is currently 3:43am as I am writing this so I am pretty tired but I will try to finish the next chapter as soon as possible! Again, I hope you enjoyed! :)
-Sofia <3