I heard a grunt, and a whoosh of air from the other end of the phone, as Hannah’s head fell back onto her pillow.  I could imagine her, half asleep, eyes closed, but loyally holding the phone to her ear.  It had made me smile.

            “Hannah, I know it’s early and this isn’t fair of me, but could you do me a favor?”

            “Hmm?  Yeah, of course.  Yeah, just…lemme know what I can do.”

            “I need you to go to my house.  Right now.”

            “Right—uh, Leila it’s five AM.”

            “I know.  I know it’s early and I don’t have time to explain it, but I need you to be there.  Remember Topher?”

            “Mmm.  Your super sexy blond friend?”

            I resisted the urge to roll my eyes.  I was glad Hannah thought of him like this.  It had taken me a while to figure it out.  All I had to hope for was that Topher would understand faster than I would.

            “Yes, him,” I grumbled. “Anyway, I need you to go to my house right now and find him.  He needs you.”

            “He—what?  Leila, I don’t understand.”

            I took a deep breath, wishing I had time to explain everything.  But I had never been a good friend.

            “I know and I’m sorry I can’t explain it.  But I need you to do this.  Please, Hannah.  It’s important.  And urgent.”

            “Well,” she exhaled loudly, “alright, but I don’t understand.  And I don’t have anything cute to wear ‘cause I haven’t done laundry in forever.”

            I smiled, relief washing through me.  “I don’t believe you.  You look cute in everything.”

            “Puh, sure.  Wake me up and then flatter me.  I see what you’re doing.”

            I laughed at her tone.  She had always been theatrical. “Hannah,” I started, sincerity thick in my voice, “you are one of the best people I know.  You’re good.  Don’t lose that, okay?”

            “Oooookay.  Thanks, but you know I’m coming to your house right?  So I’ll see you in like twenty minutes.”

            “No…I’m not there.”

            “What?  Where are you?”

            “I can’t—that’s not important.  Just find Topher.”

            “Um, okay.  What am I supposed to do once I find him?”

            “Just…just find him.  You’ll understand.”

            “If you say so,” she replied dryly, obviously not convinced.  But I didn’t need to worry about that.  All I had to do was to make sure Topher figured the riddle as I did.  And prevent him from looking for David and I.

            “Thank you, Hannah.  Thank you so much more than you know.”

            “You’re welcome, I guess.  But you owe me.”

            I smiled. “I know.  I’ll owe you forever.”

            “More like until next week when I sit you down and force you to make me a deliciously unhealthy coffee beverage and tell me everything.”

Dance of the Moonsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें