Carrots

Lorelei's POV:

"Listen, you two, this is going to be a short conversation, I'm nearly out of time here

"Listen, you two, this is going to be a short conversation, I'm nearly out of time here. Mattheo, Lorelei, you here?"

The silhouette of Mother rasped.

"What's going on?" Mattheo asked, crouching down beside me, uncomfortably close.

"I got your message, the Death Eaters have located you, Mattheo. The ones that got back alive mentioned a second source of magic. Until they find out who that is, they're staying put. They may have called off the attack for now, but your father -"

Mattheo cleared his throat.

I turned to see him scowling, his jaw set tight.

"Lord Voldemort," Mother's silhouette corrected, "wants you captured alive. He has a plan in store for you."

We both stiffened.

"As for you, Lorelei, they don't know who you are and what business you have with Mattheo." Mother whispered. 

My gut queased at the mention of my name in public - Mother never did that, except with adults like Sirius and the Weasleys.

"Whatever you do, don't reveal your name." Mother continued sternly, "Disguise yourself, do what the letter said, the Death Eaters show no mercy except with Riddle."

My throat tightened.

"What do we do then?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"Are your rooms secured?"

"We held off the attack about an hour ago, but I think they're gone for now." Mattheo answered.

"Good, stay there, both you, and do not leave. I'll send someone to come get both of you tomorrow. When they come, ask them for a code. It's the one I taught you, Lorelei. For now, stay put, and do not, under any circumstances, separate, leave the room, or try any magic."

Mother inhaled, "Am I understood?"

My breath hitched.

"Yes." We muttered in unison.

My chest tightened at the thought of magical tracing, my mind hobbling back to the magical charms and healing spells I used a few minutes ago. Mother always taught me magic left traces, and that I should always be as discreet as possible, especially when in public. I always thought she was paranoid, but now, I realized, she was just trying to keep us alive.

"I've  got to go, stay safe, and trust nobody."

With that, the roaring flame died down to an amber flicker, the room now once again silent.

My heart humped and my head started throbbing again. It was as if there was a prisoner in there, some lunatic needing to be sent to a mental asylum, and that prisoner was raging war against Satan himself.