Throughout our conversation, Braden makes a conscious effort to touch me in little ways. When he laughs at a stupid joke I made, he rests his hand on my arm for a second or two. I also get small butterflies when our feet brush against each other under the table. All I want is to reach over and cuddle with him but I know I can't.

"Oh my gosh, I almost forgot. My friend Kenny, who works at the front desk of my apartment building, just got into a zoology program and will be heading to college in a few weeks. He is looking for someone to fill his position, and in exchange receive a salary and an apartment. I might have mentioned to him that you were interested, and he gave me a flyer with all the information."

Braden drops the hand that was resting on my arm and stares incredulously into my eyes.

"I know I totally overstepped and I didn't ask permission but I just thought-"

He interrupts me by shaking his head and giving me a huge smile.

"Are you kidding me Lucy! That would be a dream. A job, a salary, and an apartment. That would be amazing."

I immediately sigh of relief. I hoped he would react like this and not get defensive or angry.

"But, I don't think I'll get it. I am sure Kenny has other applicants, and as soon as he sees my record he won't even bother to follow up with me."

Braden lays his head in his hands and shakes it from side to side looking stressed.

"Hey, hey, it's okay. I already told Kenny that you will be released and on parole. He seemed fine with it and not even phased."

Braden looks up at me from his hands and his shoulders relax.

"Kenny is just trying to find someone to fill his spot as soon as possible. My guess is he wants to move down to Oregon State a little early to get some party action."

He smiles at me and shakes his head again.

"You are awesome. I can't believe you got me an opportunity to get a job and an apartment. Am I dreaming right now?"

Braden continues to be excited throughout the rest of our visit as I see him periodically glance down and re-read the flyer that I brought him from Kenny. It's cute how appreciative he is. People visiting around us start to get up and leave, so I look down at my watch. Visiting hours are over and I hear Cynthia coming to get me.

"Braden, want to walk with us? I'll drop you at your cell after we walk Lucy to the lobby."

Cynthia offers while I stand up and grab my purse. Braden smiles and stands up with me. All three of us walk together out of the visitor room and down the hallway. Braden notices Cynthia's anxious behavior today and decides to mention it.

"Woah, Cynthia. Are you okay today?"

Braden stops her in the middle of the hallway and rests one of his strong large hands on her shoulder.

"Yes, sorry. Lorenzo got into an accident and I am just waiting for the doctors to call."

Just as Cynthia explains herself, her phone buzzes. Her eyes snap wide open and she immediately reaches for her phone located in her pocket.

"You don't mind if I get this? It will only take a minute, or I-I can drop you off first and listen to the voicemail? Its, It's really not a big-"

Braden interrupts her by shaking his head.

"Take it Cynthia, we will just wait here."

Cynthia sighs gratefully and answers the call while running into the breakroom a few doors down. I realize this is the first time Braden and I have been alone, unmonitored. It feels exhilarating and I start to feel a small heartbeat in the pit of my stomach. The air feels electric.