Chapter 1

I look up at the sun, shielding my eyes from the glare. The Lost Soul Pendant has already started to float upwards. Under the water, just meters away, I can practically hear Aunt Bella and Uncle David crying while they shout for help. It takes everything in me not to drop back into the life-giving water, back into their protective embraces.

My throat's straining as I struggle to breathe, the lack of oxygen quickly taking its toll. When I can feel my eyelids start to flutter, my heartbeat start to slow, I drop back into the water. Immediately, hands are on my arms, anxiously scanning my face.

I woke clutching the blankets, gasping for water, face wet with tears. Squeezing my eyes shut, I took deep, even breaths, slowly unclenching my fists. Inhale for ten seconds... hold... then exhale. Repeating the process eventually slowed my racing heart to where I could think straight.

I should probably introduce myself before I go any further. My name's Isadora Singh. But you can call me Izzy.

My hands shook as I got dressed and ready for the day. A shooting pain began in the back of my head, causing new tears to stream from my eyes. It was the same nightmare and emotions every night: watching the Lost Soul Pendant disappear into the sun and feeling a sense of relief, followed by my chest constricting and a feeling of dread consuming me, knowing that I was going to die.

If I'd been above the water for just a few more seconds, I would have. I placed a hand on my chest, right over my heart. It beat a steady rhythm under my hand: thu-thump, thu-thump, thu-thump.

My outfit was simple, but practical: a purple shirt with peasant sleeves paired with a long gray skirt. Completing the outfit was my signature locket. It had been a hand-me-down from Mom for my 17th birthday. Nestled inside lay a picture of my family: me, Mom, Dad, Aunt Bella, and Uncle David.

I smiled to myself as I opened the locket, gazing at the picture inside. As I made to close the locket, I caught a flash of white out of the corner of my eye. An envelope, neatly folded, lay on my beside table.

Wondering how I could have possibly missed someone in my room, I picked up the envelope. My heart stopped as I recognized Nepptheas' seal—a large, frothing wave with a shark poised to bite.

I opened it to reveal a letter written in a thick, heavy script. Whoever sent this must have really wanted privacy, to have gone to all the trouble of an envelope. Normally, people just sent messages via word-of-mouth: writing a message, then whispering the name of the person who would receive the letter.

A chill ran down my spine as my eyes sped across the page. Isadora Singh. The infamous 'princess' of Aegrem. Your parents' reputations are known throughout the seas. Nerissa Singh, the former waitress-turned-queen. And who could forget about Jay? The king with a broken queen. But I digress. I've waited quite some time to send this letter. But hearing news of your Midnight Masquerade ball gave me the perfect opportunity. You will soon be gifted a package containing a seafoam-green dress and matching mask. Wear those to the ball. Don't disappoint.

I quickly stuffed the letter in my bedside table, trying my best to quell the worry and fear rising inside me. I didn't want Mom and Dad to suspect anything. They would immediately cancel the ball, and that's the last thing I wanted.

As I swam to my door and opened it, I could hear movement and chatter from downstairs. Everyone was getting ready for the Midnight Masquerade ball tonight. It was a tradition Mom and Dad had just recently started, but everyone was eager to participate.

Everyone wore a mask the whole night, no matter who you danced with. The masks stayed on until the very end of the night—midnight—after which you could finally meet your various partners. From the sounds of it, even the servants were excited. That was another thing I loved about my parents: they were big on inclusion. They never turned anyone away, no matter their family history or past.