Proof

Chapter 24: Proof

"I'm part alien," Claire said.

"Bloody hell!" Ron said in shock. "That's brilliant!"

"But that's impossible!" Hermione said. "You don't look alien and besides aliens don't exist."

"I'm part alien, Hermione. And apparently they do exist. I know it's hard to believe, but I can show you something that will prove it. Follow me." Claire said, heading toward the portrait.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed Claire out of the portrait and to the Great Hall. Claire's parents were talking with Sirius, Remus, and Dumbledore. Harry, Ron, and Hermione noticed the resemblance between Claire and her parents. Claire had the same hair and eye color as her father, but the same curly hair and facial features as her mother. Carina then spotted the kids and said, "What are you four doing here?"

"To prove to Hermione that I'm part alien," Claire said simply.

The Doctor smiled. "Ah, of course! Most people don't believe in aliens. I find it ironic when the—what do you call them, juggles?—"

"Muggles, dear," Carina corrected him.

"Right, the people you call muggles think magic doesn't exist, yet here we are." The Doctor said. "Not to mention less than 50 years ago, people were crazy if they believed that man would one day walk on the moon. And yet Neil Armstrong stepped foot onto the moon July 20, 1969. The point is most of the things in the world were declared impossible before they happened."

"But this is completely different," Hermione argued.

"How so?" The Doctor furrowed his eyebrows.

"Because—well—I don't know. It just is," Hermione said.

The Doctor walked over to the TARDIS. "Well, I'm going to prove to you that aliens are real. In fact, your looking at one right now."

"Wait, you're an alien?" Hermione gasped.

"Yep, I'm called the Doctor. A Timelord. Last of my kind. Home planet of Gallifrey." The Doctor said with a sort of sorrow look in his eyes. "Anyway, this is my handy-dandy, wibbly, wobbly, timey, wimey time-traveling machine. TARDIS: Time And Relative Dimensions In Space. C'mon in and have a look!"

The Doctor threw open the doors and Hermione, Ron, and Harry were able to see that it was bigger on the inside. They all stared in awe.

"It's bigger on the inside!" Hermione said in shock.

"I get that a lot," The Doctor said.

"Bloody hell!" Ron stared at the giant control panel in the middle of the vast interior. "What do all these switches do?"

Ron was about to flick one of the switches when the Doctor slapped his hand away.

"DON'T TOUCH IT!" The Doctor said as though the place would explode if Ron had pulled the switch (which was likely).

Ron withdrew is hand quickly. "Why not?"

"You could've caused an explosion and I'm the only one who can press the buttons." The Doctor said. "Alright, so now you've seen it. Out, out, out!"

The Doctor ushered them out.

"So—wait what are your names?" The Doctor asked Hermione, Ron, and Harry.

"That's Harry, Ron, and Hermione," Claire said pointing to each of them.

"Alright, so now do you believe?" The Doctor said.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron nodded.

"Wait, you said your name was the Doctor," Hermione began, "but Claire's father's name was John Smith."

"Oh, that. John Smith is sort of my undercover name." The Doctor said.

"So, it's a fake name." Claire said.

"When you say it like that you make it sound like I'm a criminal," The Doctor said.

"You know, you don't look like an alien," Ron said. "The way the muggles portray you, you're supposed to be all gray with big bug eyes and big heads."

"You got one out of three right," Carina teased. "He may not be gray or have big eyes, but he definitely is big-headed."

Everyone laughed except for the Doctor.

"I am not big-headed." The Doctor complained.

Carina rolled her eyes. "You keep believing that."

Carina then turned her daughter and her daughter's friends.

"Hello, I'm Claire's mom. Look at you, Ron," Carina said looking at Ron. "The last time I saw you you were a few months old. You look exactly like Molly and Arthur. Same red hair. Runs in the family on both your parents side."

"Wish I could've been a ginger," The Doctor muttered.

Carina then turned to Hermione. "Claire said your name was Hermione, right?" Hermione nodded. "It's nice to meet you."

Carina then turned to Harry. "I'd recognize those eyes anywhere. Harry, it's so good to see you. Spitting image of Lily and James, but of course you probably hear that all the time. It must get quite annoying so I'll stop rambling. I'm sure Claire told you the plans for summer am I correct?"

"Yes, um—"

"You can call me Carina," Carina said.

"Yes, Carina," Harry answered. "Claire did tell me about it."

Carina smiled. "Good."

Dumbledore cleared his throat. "I hate to break this apart, but it's an hour past curfew. Harry if you'd stay for a few minutes I need to discuss something with you before you leave."

Harry nodded and walked off with Dumbledore. Carina turned to the three remaining friends.

"You all should probably get some sleep. However, Claire can I speak to you for a few minutes?" Carina said.

Claire nodded. Ron and Hermione walked out.

"What did you need to talk about?" Claire asked.

"Your father, uncle, and I are leaving right after you and Harry go back to Gryffindor tower. Don't worry though, we're just going to Grimmauld Place. That's where your uncle and I grew up. I'll be picking you up when you arrive at Kings Cross." Carina explained.

"Alright," Claire said.

"Claire, I know that your father and I haven't been the best of parents. But what matters is we're here now and we're going to be with you until the very end, got it?" Carina said.

Claire nodded. "But wait, earlier you were talking about the prophecy and how that's the reason you left because there was someone after me. You said it'd be dangerous if you came back. Why'd you come back then?"

"Because it's safe now." Carina said simply. "The man who was after you is gone. Your father and I defeated him and that's why we came back. It's a good thing to because we came just in time to save Sirius."

"How did you find Pettigrew by the way?" Claire asked.

"That's a story we'll save for when we see each other again. It's getting late. Why don't you head back? It seems Harry's finished talking with Dumbledore." Carina said looking over at Dumbledore and Harry. Harry had just started walking to the door.

"Ok, good night. See you soon." Claire said.

Claire caught up to Harry.

"So, what did Dumbledore talk about?" Claire asked.

"He was telling me about how he discovered how our parents began Animagi and about me performing a Patronus on the dementors." Harry said. "What did your mom want?"

"Telling me about how her, my father, and my uncle were leaving to go to Grimmauld Place. That's apparently our new home." Claire said. "I bet you're thrilled that you don't have to spend the whole summer with the Dursleys."

"That's an understatement." Harry scoffed.

"We'll be a big old happy family, Harry," Claire smiled.

"Yea," Harry smiled back.