Crumbling Friendships

Start from the beginning

I wonder what that's all about. Claire wondered.

Hermione and Claire walked to the library.

"Hermione," Claire said as they sat down at one of the tables. "Did you notice how Professor Lupin still looks ill?"

Hermione tutted. "Isn't it obvious, Claire?"

"Care to elaborate, Hermione?" Claire said, pulling out her Muggle Studies book.

Hermione dropped her voice to a whisper. "Professor Lupin's a werewolf."

"That's a pretty big assumption to make," Claire said.

Hermione sighed in frustration. "Claire, don't you remember Snape's essay we had to do?"

"What about it?" Claire questioned.

Hermione dug through her bag and pulled out a few sheets of parchments. She shoved them in Claire's hands.

"Here's my essay that I wrote. Read the first paragraph and you'll understand." Hermione then pulled out her Ancient Ruines book and began taking notes.

Claire began reading.

Werewolves are human beings who turn into wolves upon the complete rising of the full moon. A werewolf cannot chose whether or not to transform and would kill even their best friend given the opportunity once transformed. Despite this, they are able to recall everything they have experienced throughout their transformation upon reverting to their human form. The Wolfsbane Potion, invented by Damocles, allows the werewolf to keep their human mind during transformation. Traits of those who are werewolves include cravings for rare meats, long absences between full moons, and health deterioration near full moons.

It then clicked in Claire's mind. Professor Lupin did start to look ill near full moons and would leave for a long time between them. Claire then remembered the potion Snape gave Lupin. It must've been the Wolfsbane Potion Snape gave to Lupin, not poison.

"Oh my Godric," Claire said astonished. "Lupin really is a werewolf. It makes perfect sense really. Do you think Dumbledore knows?"

"Of course," Hermione said. "but I wonder why he'd let Lupin teach since he's a werewolf."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Claire said. "I mean, the Ministry would probably disagree but I think they're just misunderstood. Sort of like Buckbeak. You're not going to tell anyone, right?"

"No," Hermione replied. "There's no reason to. He's the best Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher we've ever had. He's even better than Lockhart."

Claire faked a gasped. "Merlin, did Hermione Granger just say that Professor Lupin was a better teacher than Lockhart?"

"Oh, shut up," Hermione smiled.

Hermione continued taking notes. Claire opened up her Muggle Studies book and began writing an essay on why Muggles needed electricity.

An hour passed and Claire had just finished her essay. She began to pack up and looked over at Hermione who seemed to be stressed. Claire noticed that there was four other books out in front of Hermione as she took notes at lightning speed.

"Hermione, it's about time for dinner. Why don't you take a break?" Claire asked concerned.

"I can't," Hermione said, not looking up from her books. "I have to finish taking notes. I have so much to do."

"Hermione, maybe you should drop some of these classes." Claire suggested. "There's no way that you're going to be able to handle all of these assignments for the rest of the year."