The Inner Eye and the Hippogriff

Start from the beginning

"All righ'?" he said, eagerly, pausing on the way to the staff table. "Yer in my firs' ever lesson! Right after lunch! Bin up since five gettin' everythin' ready….Hope it's okay….Me, a teacher..hones'ly."

He grinned broadly at them and headed off to the staff table, still swinging the polecat.

"Wonder what he's been getting ready?" Ron said, a note of anxiety in his voice.

"I don't know," Claire said, "but I hope it's nothing like Norbert or Fluffy."

After they finished breakfast, the four friends said goodbye to Fred and George and headed to Divination. The journey through the castle to the North Tower was a long one. Two years at Hogwarts hadn't taught them everything about the castle, and they had never been inside the North Tower before.

"There's-got-to-be-a-shortcut," Ron panted as they climbed their seventh long staircase and emerged on an unfamiliar landing, where there was nothing but a large painting of a bare stretch of grass hanging on the stone wall.

"You'd think after two years we'd be able to make it around this castle," Claire said.

"I think it's this way," Hermione said, peering down the empty passage way to the right.

"Can't be," Ron said. "That's south, look, you can see a bit of the lake out the window…"

"Maybe we could ask for directions." Claire suggested.

"From who? We're the only ones here." Hermione said.

Just then, in the painting of a bare stretch of grass, a squat knight in a suit of armor clanked into the picture on his fat, dapple gray pony.

"Aha!" the knight yelled, seeing Claire, Harry, Ron, and Hermione. "What villains are theses that trespass upon my private lands! Draw, you knaves, you dogs!"

The little knight tugged out his sword and jumped off the pony brandishing his sword violently, hopping up and down in rage. But the sword was too long for him; a particularly wild swing made him overbalance, and he landed facedown in the grass. Claire tried not to laugh as she moved closer to the picture and said, "Are you alright?"

"Get back, you-you," the knight stopped talking and took off his helmet. He stared at Claire as he bowed. "Fair maiden, what can I do to help you?"

Claire raised an eyebrow. "Um, well we're looking for the North Tower. You don't know the way, do you?"

"A quest!" The knight exclaimed in excitement as he put on his helmet. "Aye, I know the way! Follow me, fair lady and friends. We shall find our goal, or else perish bravely in the charge!"

He tried to pick up his sword but failed. He then tried and once again failed to mount the fat pony, gave up, and cried, "On foot then, good sirs and gentle ladies! On! On!"

They followed the knight along the corridor until they reached the classroom.

"Farewell!" cried the knight. He then turned to Claire. "It has been an honor to help such a lovely lady!" He bowed. "If you ever have need for a noble heart and steely sinew, call upon Sir Cadogan!"

"Yeah, we'll call you," muttered Ron as the knight disappeared, "if we ever need someone mental."

"It seems that knight had a crush on you, Claire." Hermione said.

Ron burst out laughing, while Claire glared at him.

"Yea, did you hear him?" Ron laughed. "'Fair maiden, what can I do to help you?'"

Claire glared at him as she said, "You won't be laughing when I tell the Fat Lady you have a crush on her."

He stopped laughing.