Chapter One

"No! Mom, I won't sit here and let this happen! He cannot do this to me, I don't want to go with him!" I yelled from upstairs in my bedroom doorway. I've been arguing with my mom for weeks, I don't want to live with my dad. He makes me uncomfortable, he makes life unbearable, and for years he's been fighting to get me full time. This week my stepdad really did it- he sided with my dad. He agreed my mother was unfit! She's the only person that loves me and now I'm being ripped away from her. 

"Camille, enough love. You know I hate this, I can't do anything more! I love you with all of my heart but please lets make these last two days together bearable, okay? I hate fighting with you. I just want everything to be okay, at least for these two days." 

I understand what she means, I love her, and she loves me. I'm her everything, I know that. It's not fair to her, she's right, I know this is not her fault.

"Okay, I'm sorry. I'm going to take a few to calm down, okay? I'm going to start packing my things." I say then closing my door behind me. Where do I even start? I have two days. Two days to pack, help my mom setup the baby's room, two days until my life becomes hell. I put my headphones in and get to work. Starting by taking my clothes off the hangers and throwing them into a box. 

As I pack my things I look around my room that's painted in a beautiful green, my favorite color. I think of the memories I've made in here, with my mom and Sophia. I remember painting my room this color three years ago, it was the day after my twelfth birthday- I asked my mom if we could repaint my room. 

"Sure honey, after lunch we'll head to the hardware store to see what they have," she said while doing dishes, she always does dishes at one o'clock, after she prepares lunch and we've eaten.

We went to the hardware store and looked at the clearance rack, they had brown and purple, and as we went to go leave they brought out this color. Just enough to cover most of my walls. I laugh as I look over to the unpainted section in my room that was covered by a poster, we made it work, we always did. 

I turn around startled to find my stepfather standing in my doorway, arms crossed. I take my headphone out while looking at him. 

"You're out of here Friday, right?" he spat. Those words hit me where it hurt- why would he say this? He should know. 

"Yeah, two days. Why do you ask?" I asked looking at the floor, pressing my toes into the carpet. 

"Just making sure I told Hunter the right day. He loves this color you know," he said walking towards me, "It'll really fit his new theme- dinosaurs. Gotta love them right?" by the time he finished the sentence he was chest to chest with me. It's really no surprise his son will be getting my room. He just got full custody of his son, with his ex-wife in prison, the system had no other choice. They sure don't want to have another kid to take care of. 

"Yeah, just make sure he has a poster or something to cover up that spot over there," I say pointing to the spot on the wall with no paint, "I had one up but took it down, packing." Pushing my toes deeper into the carpet, Johnathan never liked me, I was in the way of his plan. I always stick up for my mom, he can't seem to keep his hands off of her, even while she's pregnant. 

"No worries, I'm taking a sample of this to get color matched, it needs a fresh coat," he said turning around, peeling a piece of paint that was chipping from around the doorway as he walked out of my room. 

I let out a sign of relief. I'm going to miss everything, my mom, my room, my friends, even the chores, but not Johnathan. Everything but Johnathan. 

I turn to the box I just filled with my clothes and tape it up, then in on the floor in a blank corner of my room. I don't get to take everything with me, just the small things like pictures and decorations, my dad says he has all new stuff for me.