BEFORE WE BEGIN

SUMMARY

“What do you want from me?” asked the girl from the floor, her long black hair falling in her face, covering her dark eyes.

The man standing before her merely sneered. “The Dark Lord shall rise as you fall, Melina.” Sama’el Prince said, his voice a gruff drawl.

“Oh no, that’s not going to happen,” the girl on the floor said, the chains around her arms clanked as she looked up with her dark, hooded eyes. “Father.” The way she said the word made it sound like the worst insult she could muster. But there were no similarities in the father-daughter duo except for the dark black hair.

Something about the way his nostrils flared got a raucous, maniacal laughter out of her lungs. “I thought you could do better than this, can you not?” she said between her laugh. The crazed shimmer in her dark eyes couldn’t be hidden by the damp lighting in the cellar.

She could feel the ghastly creatures, the dementors swaying outside the prison walls, right outside the building, ensuring that none of the prisoners gets out of their cell. They were dumb, not under their own control. Creatures of impulse, tricked easily into acting a certain way. Of course, considering the scale of her power, it should not be a problem. But she could wait. Break through their clutches when it was the weakest, and leave destruction in her wake.

That’s what she told herself as the masked man brought down a taught leather whip on her back, her skin screaming in protest. Melina laughed again, taunting. “That’s the best you can do?”

The man didn’t say anything, but brought down the whip again, this time stronger and harsher. The leather bit into her skin, but Melina didn’t even flinch. She had had worse, the worst it could feel like was a pin-prick. “You could be better,” she casually said, shrugging. The whip marks already disappeared, along with the stinging bite.

The lamps flickered, distracting the two men in the cell. Melina leaned against the cold stone wall and closed her eyes, enjoying the darkness. Her hands fell to her side with a loud metallic clang and then everything went dark.

“It’s best if you leave me alone for a while,” She said. “I’m bored by looking at you this long.”

When Melina opened her eyes again, Sierra Prince stood in front of her instead. The similarities between them were vague, but still there. You could tell they were related.

“What a pleasure you see you again, mother.” Melina said, almost mockingly. “I would ask you to take a seat, but there isn’t anywhere to sit except the floor. I highly doubt you’d appreciate that.”

Sierra didn’t take the bait. Raising her hand, she urged another silver masked man forward. He had a vial in one hand and a knife in the other. He crouched in front of Melina and raised her left hand. He cut through the veins, drawing out dark red blood and collected a few drops of it in the vial.

Melina had fixed her ravenous stare at the man, taking note of his scent, the rapid beating of his afraid heart and the forced deep breaths he drew in. He did the process again with her right hand and got up to leave.
Before the man could even process what was happening, Melina was on her feet, the knife in her hand and the man on the floor, mask cracked and eyes wide with fear and shock. Melina tugged at her bonds, breaking the chain holding her against the wall.

The man got up, wand out and ready to fight. Melina angled her head and grinning like a predator, jumping up with her legs locking his movements and the chain limiting her hand movements bound tight around his neck. He struggled for about a minute before dropping, dead.

Her blood still clung to the knife as she walked to Sierra, holding the knife against her throat. Melina pushed the blade deeper, drawing a thin line of blood. With her free hand, she took the wand out of her mother’s cloak, and unbound herself from the shackles, chaining the older woman up instead.

And then she ran.

Out of the cellar, away from the building they called Azkaban, hiding from the dementors who fed on fear, she didn’t show them fear, no. She wasn’t even afraid. She was angry, outraged and hungry for revenge. I will kill them all... painfully.

---

This is a work of fiction purely for entrainment purpose (for me and those who wish to read it). A few points before we begin:

-This is a slight crossover of Harry Potter Universe and the Shadowhunters universe, has some canonically correct aspects of both the worlds and some of them are made up.

-The ages of the character have been up-ed for fanfiction purposes.

-This includes some triggering things (abuse, attempted suicide, self-harm, violence, graphic descriptions of some injuries, mention of rape and child grooming, character death etc.) Take caution before interacting.

-As a warning I would suggest that the fic readers be at least 13 years or older due to the certain dark themes that are included in the story.